Out Of State Wedding Cakes

Business By sweetcreationsbiz Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 1:28am by bethola

sweetcreationsbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbiz Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 13

I Have a bride that lives in a different state and wants to use me for her wedding cake. I will have to fly or drive to her wedding location and possibly stay overnight. What extra fees do I charge for this type of wedding deal?

Im not even sure what all Ill have to do yet but if anyon has advice for me please, please, please let me know.

Ann

12 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 13

Oh my god, what a nightmare! Would you be taking the decorated cake with you?

I'd charge her a fee for travel time, per hour, on top of the fees for any plane tickets or gas and wear-and-tear charges on the car if I drove. I'd also make her pay for the hotel if I needed to stay overnight.

So let's say you flew there, that would be $20 an hour (or whatever you charge) from the time you leave your house until you walk back through your front door. Plus the plane tickets. Plus the cost of a hotel room.

Is this girl made of money? If she is, send her to me!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 13

That is crazy. How does that work for the cake. I know it can be done, cause Sylvia Weinstock does it all the time, but I know I'm not set up like Silvia Weinstock. So lets see. There are ALL my traveling expenses, my hotel, a per deim to cover meals, oh yeah, did I mention my hourly rate of $20 per hour. It starts the minute I leave to the airport or get on the road and does NOT end until I get back home. Pricey, pricey.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 13

A couple of other things to consider - Are you licensed? Will your license cover you in the state you're going to?
I did a cake for a friend in California, I live in Idaho. I am not a licensed baker (I didn't charge her for the cake). Her reception was at a fancy restaurant - I had her check with the resaurant before hand to make sure it was okay with them - it wasn't since I wasn't licensed in California. I ended up making a dummy cake except for the top tier that the bride and groom took with them, so none of my cake was served at the reception.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #5 of 13

I did this for a customer in AZ I lived there when we met, then moved east. What we agreed on was this I she paid for my tix round trip and for a rental car. I have friends and family that still live there so I needed no accomidations.
It was pricey for her but she really wanted my cake icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #6 of 13

I would LOVE to become known as the cake lady everyone wants all over the country! Pick me! Pick me!

I have a photographer friend who booked a bride who is flying him to Jamaica to shoot her wedding. I tried to go along as his bag carrier, but darn it, his wife had first dibs!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I would LOVE to become known as the cake lady everyone wants all over the country! Pick me! Pick me!

I have a photographer friend who booked a bride who is flying him to Jamaica to shoot her wedding. I tried to go along as his bag carrier, but darn it, his wife had first dibs!

I totally understand this! We plan on renewing our vowels in Jamaica and yes, I'm taking my original wedding photographer. He is also booked for my daughter's Sweet 15. LOVE HIM! I also loved my wedding cake person & florist, but I don't think the cake will make the trip & there are flowers in Jamaica. Sorry Costumeczarina. icon_cry.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I totally understand this! We plan on renewing our vowels in Jamaica and yes, I'm taking my original wedding photographer. He is also booked for my daughter's Sweet 15. LOVE HIM! I also loved my wedding cake person & florist, but I don't think the cake will make the trip & there are flowers in Jamaica. Sorry Costumeczarina. icon_cry.gif

Eh, that's okay, I sunburn too easily anyway icon_wink.gif

sweetcreationsbiz Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:02am
post #9 of 13

No im not licensed but she really wants me to do the cake. We're going to meet soon and discuss everything. Ill keep you all posted2

Thanks for the reply and advice ladies you all are sweet...and funny 2!

icon_lol.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 13

Have you known her for a while? I get bulletins from the FDA, USDA and FBI re: unsafe food, toys and scams (among other little tidbits from here and there.) I really, really like to be in the know (read gossip). Could this be something shady?

sweetcreationsbiz Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 13

NO I dont know her personally!!! We handled this issue icon_smile.gif

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #12 of 13

I had a couple from Cape Cod have me to do their cake, about a 3 hour drive, on Labor Day weekend when every hotel has a 2 night minimum. You have to figure what you would have made with local weddings for the weekend, the cost of the hotel, your meals while you are there, all of your expenses in general. You don't want to just agree to the price of the cake and expenses when staying home doing more weddings puts more $$$ in your pocket.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #13 of 13

I'm doing a friend's cake in another state. I AM legal in my state and the reception is being held privately. Another family member is doing the groom's cake. So, we are covered. They aren't paying me for the cake (that's always my gift for family and she's like family.) BUT, have made reservations at the hotel for me and will be paying my hotel bill. My friend that is a florist is going as well and will be helping them decorate! HAVE WEDDING WILL TRAVEL!! LOL

Beth in KY

PS I'm taking the undecorated cake layers with me and will make the icing and decorate on site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%