Help With Shark Cake

Decorating By shelly786 Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm by JodieF

shelly786 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly786 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 9

ive been asked to make a shark cake either a shark coming out of the water or biting into something. ive never made anything like that and need lots of help and ideas how to carve and get the shape right.pls help!!!!

8 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 9

Are you doing to make a fondant/gumpaste coming out of the cake or carve the cake to a shark shape?
When I go to carve, I look up different angle pics online, then I make an outline of the outside of the body (as if I was looking down on the top of the shark) and place on the cake top. Usualy 3 layers. Then I cut the outline out at an approx. 45 deg angle slope leaving the top high. Then I remove the paper and carve the rest down and shape it from there. I would probably use RKT for the fins, part of the tail and dorsal fin. I'm thinking big though! As far as the mouth, it can either be RKT or just have someone or something hanging out of the side of it's mouth with a few teeth showing, for me, I'd put someone's legs!!!

shelly786 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly786 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:33am
post #3 of 9

Malakin, that was very useful thankyou very much...i love the idea of adding someone's legs to the shark!

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 9

shelly786,
im not sure how big you want the shark to be,or if you wanted the shark to be cake or not,but i made a sheet cake (blue for water) then made a shark out of rkt.i just molded him(just top half of body with fin) and put fondant on top to cover it,and painted him the color i wanted,glued the eyes,teeth,and fin on after with edible glue. then i just stuck him on top of the cake and added white and blue frosting around him to look like waves around him. im not sure if that's what your looking for or not, but hope i helped a little.

brenda

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 9

Hi there just saw your post and wanted to tell you I've got pics on here of a shark I did. I just cut him out of sheets. There is a write up (how to) in Bakery buyers guide. you may be able to find it on their site if you do a search. ttyl
Mike

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 9

Definitely check out Mikes shark. I was just about to go find the link when I saw he replied, it is awesome!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddahope

Definitely check out Mikes shark. I was just about to go find the link when I saw he replied, it is awesome!

I agree thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 9

What a fantastic shark! Mike, do you have a full-view image you can post?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 9

I did a shark cake too, but he was all out of rice krispie treats covered in fondant. He was on top of a two layer 11x15. He's in my photos. He had "bitten" a surfboard with the birthday boys name on it.
It was easiest for me because I could make the shark in advance.

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%