Headed To Disneyworld Orlando - Cake Supply Store Close By?

Decorating By amberkw Updated 8 Jan 2010 , 2:30am by NannyD

amberkw Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 27

So I am headed to Disneyworld Orlando tomorrow (Thurs). Are there any great cake supply store close by? We are coming from southern Georgia, so any along the way would be great.

26 replies
Joanne1944 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 27

There is a great store in Orlando - D&G Occasions
625 Herndon Ave # G
Orlando, FL 32803
(407) 894-4458

I live in Tampa, but we don't have anything like it over here. I usually order on-line, but I go to D&G every time I am in Orlando. They carry several different brands of fondant, reasonably priced and styrofoam dummies along with just about everything for cakes, cookies and candy.
Shipping for heavy or bulky items can be so expensive.

ibmoser Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 27

D&G is good, Jester's is great, too! IMHO, prices are better at Jester's, and they are working hard to expand their decorating supplies.

http://www.fondantsource.com/index.html

2830 N Orange Blossom Trail
Kissimmee, Fl 34744

itsmylife Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #4 of 27

Joanne1944...

Have you been to Cakes Plus on Dale Mabry? That's where I usually get things when I've waited too long to order online. I wish we had a bigger supply store here.

NannyD Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 27

Been to all three and also wish we had a larger store in Tampa... although the samples at Cake Plus are soooo yummy! Heading to D&G on Saturday with my niece and her kids and spending the rest of the day at Downtown Disney.

janelwaters Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #6 of 27

I LOVE D&G!! I'm going this weekend too and definately stopping by D&G and maybe Jester's too - I love to order from Jester's online, but their actual store was a small disappointment last time I was there. They seemed to be out of everything I needed.

have fun at Disney!!

madgeowens Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #7 of 27

ask edna....tonedna...she lives there

oldcaker Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 27

Two weeks ago,I went to Cakes Plus on Dale Mabry. The store was empty and no sign of where they may have moved.

nonnyscakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 27

Their website http:// www . cakes plus tampa . com (no spaces obviously) says "new address and directions":

1732 South Dale Mabry Hwy.
Tampa, FL 33629

telephone: 813-251-4564
email address: info @ cakesplustampa . com

mmdiez10 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 27

D&G Occasions is great. The staff is so pleasant and knowledgeable. They have so much stuff. I go crazy there. You should definitely stop there if you are going to be in the Disney World area. Happy shopping!

NannyD Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 27

I was also disappointed with Jester's, mostly becuse of their layout and organization. They did have decent prices though, if you could find what you wanted.

Peridot Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 27

Jester's online is just like their store. Always out of everything! Then they show a picture of what you want to order only to find out that they don't stock it at this time. Then don't put the photo on your site until you have the product!!!

amberkw Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #13 of 27

I'm baaaack...... and I spent too much money at D & G!!!!! Ok, so I have never been to a cake supply store since I have found my new love for cakes - and now cookies! I LOVED it - besides the fact that my 1, 2 & 4 year old spent over 4 hours in the car and D & G was our first stop. They were reorganizing all the sprinkles, making me cakes. Anything that is stackable becomes a cake for me. "Mama - I baked you a cake!" my 2 year old said. And the staff had something to say as well. Sorry! They were forgiving, however, after they rang me up and saw my total. Just to name a few things, I bought some satin ice in red, black & brown- hope I like it. It will be nice to give my carpal tunnel a break from the deep colors. I got a ton of cookie cutters for cookies and for fondant. They are so dang cheap - .99 for the tiny ones and about 1.19 for the large. Can you get them cheaper anywhere else? They had sooooo much stuff. Maybe next time I go, it will be w/out my wee little helpers & I can really look around. Their website does not do them justice. Next time I will have to check out the other places. Thanks for the suggestions. I am soo happy!

NannyD Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #14 of 27

I went Saturday as well. It's worth a day of fun to drive there from Tampa. In the local Tampa store I paid $12.99 for a 2lb container of Satin Ice. There I paid $14 and change for a 5lb container.

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:04am
post #15 of 27

Definitively D & G
Edna icon_smile.gif

Joanne1944 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:46am
post #16 of 27

Thanks Edna. If you say it's the best, that confirms it. The one place in Tampa that sells fondant is quite expensive. It is actually worth it to drive over to Orlando to D&G. (At least that's my excuse). They have everything. I love all the different brands and colors of fondant they carry.

tonedna Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne1944

Thanks Edna. If you say it's the best, that confirms it. The one place in Tampa that sells fondant is quite expensive. It is actually worth it to drive over to Orlando to D&G. (At least that's my excuse). They have everything. I love all the different brands and colors of fondant they carry.

Well, I got to say D & G is not inexpensive either, seems all this cake shops tend to have higher prices. But as for cakes supplies, thi is the best one in here. There is another one call Jesters, that comes close.. But
D&G still has more things.
Edna icon_smile.gif

amberkw Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:25am
post #18 of 27

Thanks. Edna - LOVE your work!!!! Thanks for all the tutorials as well. I got so much info from your youtube clips.

tonedna Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:45am
post #19 of 27

Aww...thanks amber!!!!!!
Edna icon_smile.gif

amberkw Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:30pm
post #20 of 27

NO problemicon_smile.gif I feel like I just talked with a superstar!

Cristi-Tutty Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:00pm
post #21 of 27

I am going to Orlando I hope I can find these stores...thank you!! lol

tonedna Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #22 of 27

Good luck!
D & G is really not too difficult to find. Is right across Fashion Square Mall.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #23 of 27

Thank you Edna...

frostedtampa Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:27pm
post #24 of 27

I heard that Cakes Plus has actually closed... and that they were selling out dated fondant & other food supplies.

I've not tried D&G, but sounds good.

I spoke with the manager of Jesters. He said they are slowly transitioning from a party supply store to a cake supply store. When I order from them, it is usually on my doorstep the next day (Thanks, UPS!). I got a 20 lb tub of satin ice for $45 (FAR cheaper than anywhere else) and you can find coupon codes for 10% off your order. I agree they are "out of stock" a lot, but they are always willing to order things for you.

SugarBakerz Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:33pm
post #25 of 27

op- do you know about cake art in Tucker Ga? They have a website www.cakeart.com, and bakerella did a blog on it and the pics are amazing! I hope to visit there soon!

sadsmile Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:33pm
post #26 of 27

Jester's is out of stock because people are ordering like crazy from them, because they are the cheapest. They can't keep the good stuff on the shelves. But if you phone in your order they will get it all for you. You can also have an order ready for pick up if you live close and save in shipping.

NannyD Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 2:30am
post #27 of 27

Was in Cakes Plus a ouple of weeks ago. I beieve I saw a sign that they are moving to another location that is larger. I think it is in the same strip or one nearby.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%