Wire, Wire.... Need Help

Decorating By Karenelli Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm by janeoxo

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to be doing a cake with butterflies, dragonflies and fairies and need to suspend them as if flying. What gauge wire should I use. I want the wire to be sturdy enough to hold them as if they were flitting around the cake. Also... What type of wire should I use and what do I use to protect the cake from the wire? Anyone???????????????

4 replies
susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenelli

I am going to be doing a cake with butterflies, dragonflies and fairies and need to suspend them as if flying. What gauge wire should I use. I want the wire to be sturdy enough to hold them as if they were flitting around the cake. Also... What type of wire should I use and what do I use to protect the cake from the wire? Anyone???????????????

I'm going to be doing the Corpse Bride cake for a Halloween wedding, and I bought the 24 gauge floral wire (I think it was 24) to use for my dragonflies....as far as the protection, I was going to insert the wire into straws and put the straws in the cake........plus, that might help to make them sturdy enough to seem like they were flitting around the cake!
I'll look again at the wire, and I'll pm you with the guage!!!

susan

SuzyQ926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyQ926 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 5

I used wire to suspend polka dots over my daughters cake. It was just floral wire that I found at Wal-Mart. It was sturdy enough to hold the decoration, but still had some movement to it. Good luck.

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks SuzyQ and Susan. The straw is a great idea and so simple besides serving 2 purposes. I'll check out the 24 gauge to see if it will be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the pieces and give that springy look. Thank you both for the help.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 5

If you dont want to use straws you can use flower picks. they are more sturdy so therefore much easier to insert into the cake. Wilton do them for this purpose. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%