Black Forest Cake & Fondant??

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 1:03pm by nonnyscakes

jennbrownrigg Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 4

I've just had a lady request a black forest cake, but she wants a fondant plaque on the top of a hockey teams logo. (I've attached a pic of the cake she wants recreated)
I'm thinking that the whipped cream won't be stable or firm enough to support the heavy plaque on top. Should I fill the cake with the cherry/cream mixture & ice it in buttercream??

Any suggestions would be appreciated...and fyi, I have told the lady my thoughts on the cream & she is fine with whatever I choose to do as long as it's black forest with the team logo...

Thanks for any help
LL

3 replies
Mike1394 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 4

It would look ALOT better if it had a Red Wing on it instead hehehehe. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

jillycakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 4

I've made black forest cakes w/ cherry filling and iced w/ BC. I would definitely opt for the buttercream icing.

nonnyscakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 4

I don't think I would have ever thought about using Buttercream on the outside of a Black Forest Cake until you mentioned it, so I did a search and found this article on eHow... they say you can use Buttercream (white/vanilla or chocolate) or whipped cream for the sides.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2282782_decorate-black-forest-cake.html#

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%