Parchment Paper Vs. Wax Paper

Baking By kaddikakes Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 12:08pm by Texas_Rose

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:26am
post #1 of 5

Can I use wax paper on my baking sheets in place of parchment paper for baking cookies? I'm about to bake some halloween cookies tonight and I only have wax paper at home! Thanks for the help.

4 replies
Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:59am
post #2 of 5

NO - you never want to bake with wax paper -- the wax on the paper will heat up, melt, smell and possibly cause a little smokiness in the oven - which can transfer a nasty taste to your cookies. I would rather bake with nothing on the cookie sheet if i was out of parchment paper.

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much. I will stop and get some parchment paper before going home. icon_surprised.gif)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:34am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycakes

NO - you never want to bake with wax paper -- the wax on the paper will heat up, melt, smell and possibly cause a little smokiness in the oven - which can transfer a nasty taste to your cookies. I would rather bake with nothing on the cookie sheet if i was out of parchment paper.

She said it all!! It's so gross!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycakes

She said it all!! It's so gross!

True! My sister made a fire in my mom's oven once when we were kids, trying to bake meringue cookies on waxed paper. It burned itself out and didn't damage the oven, but it was scary!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%