Ultimate Cake Off Show Recipes!

Decorating By chikie Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm by CakesByLJ

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:58pm
post #31 of 59

I loved your cake Mike. I am also glad that your recipe is for real. Its not like the majority on here could ever compete with you if you know what I mean. icon_biggrin.gif No offense to anyone!!

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm
post #32 of 59

This is the reduced recipe for my Rum cake Mix. Let me know how it turns out as I havn't checked it at this level
I do this in much larger proportions

2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cut into bits
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix or rum pudding mix
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
1/2 cup Capt'n Morgans spiced rum
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
1.In a large mixing bowl, combine basic cake ingredients. flour, baking powder, salt pudding
2. whip butter until smooth adding sugar until peaks form then add eggs, milk, oil, rum, vanilla
Then blend in dry ingredients until smooth
3.Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
4.Spray pans, I use 8 inch rounds (two)
5.Bake for about 55 minutes- until fully golden and tester comes out clean and cake springs back.
6. Enjoy!!! MIKE

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:56pm
post #33 of 59

Thank you Mike, for being so generous! Hmmm, with all that real rum being used by all of us "testers" it should be a fun week !!

Mike_Elder Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #34 of 59

I'm always glad to help! It still amazes me how nice people can be about the UCO show! I'm still getting emails and I do appreciate them all!!
Mike

beehivebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beehivebaby Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #35 of 59

THANK YOU!!!!!icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #36 of 59

I could have sworn I pressed the Watch This Topic link, but I guess not.

Anyway, thanks for showing us where to find these recipes. I'm always in the mood to try something new, and I have just enough time to experiment before the wedding cake gets baked.

Mike Elder, welcome to CC, and thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us. We're honored that you think so much of CC to be here with us. There are lots of chefs of your caliber who lurk around here, but only very infrequently do they let us know they're out there with us. I see you use the Captain in your recipe. It's the most popular liquor among the young adults in my family, so I know they'll enjoy the cake.

I look forward to what I hope will be regular participation here, when you have some time away from your business. I'm always willing to learn something new, so please stick around.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mike_Elder Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #37 of 59

For some reason ( i think aliens flew over my house and scrambled my brain) I put oil on twice! forget about the 3 tbsp... I'm not sure where that came from? thats what you get for doing 10 things at once!!! My daughter came home and told me I had to have a cake for her school tomorrow. so I guess I wasn't focused
Thanks again!!!!
Mike

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #38 of 59

Thanks Mike & welcome to CC. I love the sound of that rum cake & so enjoyed watching you on UCO.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:22am
post #39 of 59

thank you for the recipe! I love watching you compete.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #40 of 59

I was about to ask about the double oil & you answered it! I'm wondering, where you get rum pudding mix? Do you have a certain brand?

(off subject---playingwithsugar you're avatar is the cutest for BC that I've seen! Means a lot b/c dh & I both have aunts being treated for BC)

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #41 of 59

Mike welcome to CC, your cakes are amazing.

MommaPoopadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaPoopadoo Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:23pm
post #42 of 59

Anyone try the graham cracker cake yet? I really want to give it a try, but where do you get graham cracker compound and marshmallow compound?

I did a web search and the closest I could find for graham cracker compound is maybe graham flour?

Oh, and marshamallow compound apparently is also an herbal supplement... which I don't think is what we're looking for LOL!

HELP!?!?!?????

Delcy883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delcy883 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:53pm
post #43 of 59

For the compounds, try amoretti dot com.
I've heard their customer service is excellent.
I believe they will send you a sample of a compound.
hth

ckckhome Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #44 of 59

You can contact Amoretti Ingredients for a variety of compounds,extract etc., they sell large amounts and some items small as 4 oz. contact Nayree at 805-983-2903

Spuddysmom Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #45 of 59

Amoretti compounds are fabulous! A compound is a way to flavor your product. I've used them in upscale chocolate truffles. For example the fruit flavors -Think of them as a much more intense fruit jam. They have a complexity to them. I'd never seen the graham or marshmallow ones. They are generally pretty expensive for a hobby baker/ home baker, but man oh man what an incredible depth of flavor.

MommaPoopadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaPoopadoo Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #46 of 59

I've always heard them called emulsions so I thought these were something totally different!

I know where I'll be surfing tonight icon_biggrin.gif

ckckhome Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #47 of 59

Calling on Mike_Elder
Hey Mike congratulations on your season 2 win. Will you compete again in season 2? You are a master cake artist in our book. Please share your winning cake recipe from last week show. thumbs_up.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:58pm
post #48 of 59

I second that... thumbs_up.gif Congratulations Mike.. party.gif another well deserved win~! Can't wait to see Kathy Scott tonight...
............ GO KATHY .............

CakesByLJ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:40pm
post #49 of 59

The recipes for this season are not posted on their website... icon_cry.gif I really want that Gingerbread cake recipe that won this week too... icon_sad.gif

Mike_Elder Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #50 of 59

Hey Guys!!!! THANKS!!! JUST FOUND this thread and figured i'd better say HI!!! LOL!!!! I'll actually be back on on april 19th! Going against Norman Davis and Ashley Vicos!!!! btw my fb page is easier to get ahold of me at since i'm so darn busy!! look for [email protected]
Thanks again!!!!
Mike

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:02pm
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Cakes

I was going through the recipes and some things I have never heard of and have no idea where to find it...

Orange Compound?

Vanilla Paste?

Anyone know where to get this stuff?

I'm not sure about Orange Compound, but I just bought some vanilla paste at Williams Sonoma. I haven't tried it yet, but it smells wonderful!!

Spuddysmom Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #52 of 59

Go Mike! I'll be among many of your fans cheering from my couch!! I wish that all of the teams' recipes were posted this year, like last season - big sigh......

CakesByLJ Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:23pm
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Elder

Hey Guys!!!! THANKS!!! JUST FOUND this thread and figured i'd better say HI!!! LOL!!!! I'll actually be back on on april 19th! Going against Norman Davis and Ashley Vicos!!!! btw my fb page is easier to get ahold of me at since i'm so darn busy!! look for [email protected]
Thanks again!!!!
Mike

Hey Mike~! I'll be cheering for you... Good luck thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:53pm
post #54 of 59

[quote=I haven't tried it yet, but it smells wonderful!![/quote]

I tried it 2-3 times and it is amazing. It gives the look, and smell of an authentic recipe. Especially the finished look of whatever you are making is going to be so impressive.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:46pm
post #55 of 59

I like the cake Roland Winbeckler submitted it was Vanilla,Coffee Mocha or something like that..It was 4 flavors in one....The judges really liked it as he won that week.

Spuddysmom Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I like the cake Roland Winbeckler submitted it was Vanilla,Coffee Mocha or something like that..It was 4 flavors in one....The judges really liked it as he won that week.

I've tried his recipe from the site and loved it. Also vanilla paste is available on line and in some higher end grocery stores (Whole Foods). It's been fun to play with but I like my Mexican vanilla better. The paste I tried had added sugar which I didn't like. Orange compound is fabulous. Amoretti has an amazing line of compounds, and there are a couple of others that are wonderful, but it isn't something a hobby baker probably uses as it is very pricey unless you can buy retail. The flavors are complex and deep.

CakesByLJ Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

It was French Vanilla, and it is delicious. It is still posted on the site I believe... icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:43pm
post #58 of 59
CakesByLJ Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

Here is the link to season 2 recipes.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/ultimate-cake-off-recipes.htm

Wow.... thanks for that link Jaimelt76~! Now I can try that Gingerbread cake.. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%