How Do I...sculpt The Letter One Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By cakegirl81 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 6:01pm by erinalicia

cakegirl81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl81 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #1 of 6

Can someone help? I would like to make the # 1 out of fondant for a topper on a cap. I rolled it like you would a border and shaped it into the number, but is it going to dry stable enough so that I can put it on top? And how should I attach it?

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #2 of 6

Put a toothpick or lollipop stick into it before it hardens, and once it's all the way dry you can just poke the toothpick into the cake to attach the number. It should dry hard enough, depending on the size it might take a couple of days.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

Next time if you knead a bit of tylose powder or GP into your fondant it will dry harder and faster.

Tex is right though, a toothpick or a lolly stick will work just fine. If your number is really tall you can use a thin skewer or dowel.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 6

I let mine dry for several days and I don't use tylose. If I need it sooner I put it in my food dehydrator. To attach it to the cake you can use the toothpick or lollipop stick or even a bamboo skewer. If I don't do it before the # hardens I just use melted white chocolate to attach a skewer or lollipop stick to the # and it works great. Not as pretty from the backside, but it's stable.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

I let mine dry for several days and I don't use tylose. If I need it sooner I put it in my food dehydrator. . .

OMG! I'm so glad I didn't sell my food hydrator at a yard sale! I never thought to stick my fondant/gumpaste pieces in there to help dry them!
Thanks for the tip icon_biggrin.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 6

I actually went out and bought one just so I'd have it for fondant pieces... LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%