Help! How Do I Use This Mold??

Decorating By sister340 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm by sister340

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #1 of 11

I want to use a new first impressions floral scroll mold. It is for a motif on the side of a wedding cake. There are no instructions and I can't quite figure out how to do this. There are two of the same mold on the blue form. I have no idea how to get my gumpaste thin enough to be in the mold and flat, even with the surface. The way I did it, it was way too thick and heavy to stick on the side of the cake, I think.

Any ideas?

j.

10 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 11

Have you checked the first impressions web site for any instructions? They may have them posted there.

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 11

Here's a YouTube video of Edna demonstrating how to use a mold - it's for a pearl border, but I think it's the same idea as what you're talking about. I followed her instructions for a pearl border mold and it worked wonderfully. Maybe it will help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_3__KwnXQ0&feature=channel

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 11

for the lace molds, I assume (bad idea I know, assuming) I rolled my fondant in a pasta roller. I made sure my fondant was quite soft not sticky by adding a small touch of shortening. I have hand rolled it as well as thin as I could but did prefer the pasta machine. HTH

sister340 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 11

thank you all. So if I use my pasta roller and get it thin, then I just press it into the mold and have "left over" paste just hanging out? instructions say to put it in the fridge, so I did. then I guess I cut out the lace and toss the rest? My biggest worry is that the lace will be black and the cake white. all the part of the design that is inside will be black and not look too hot on white case.
j

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 11

Make sure your fondant is well kneeded and smooth in texture -
Roll it into a snake shape (if the mold is long) or a ball shape (if the mold is small -
Then *stuff* the mold with the fondant -
Using a blunt knife - scrape away any excess fondant that hangs outside the actual molding part itself -
Pop in fridge for 5 or so minutes -
Take out of fridge -
Turn mold upside down and gently ease the edges apart so as your formed fondant will fall onto a cloth on your bench.
Using a spatular - flip fondant over and voula - you have your shape.

If you wish - make a small batch of sugar glue and dab a small ammount onto the back of the molded shape -
Then gently place it where it needs to be adhered to on the cake.

Sugar glue...
equal parts of caster sugar and water -
bring to a slow boil on stove -
stirring -
once boiled - take from heat and allow to cool -
Pour into sterilized jar and keep in fridge for a week or so.
When wanting to use it - pour some into a seperte dish - so as not to contaminate the whole jar.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

sister340 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 11

I've used first impressions for pearls too, followed Edna's video. But this mold is so thin, hard to scrape excess off. I'll keep trying!

Bluehue Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 11

I have some like that - and yes they are a bit tricky - but just go slow and after pushing the fondant into every crease and gap - pop in fridge for 5 minnies.

When releasing from the mold - do so over a cloth (tea towell folded a few times)
This helps stop any hard knocks.

Bluehue icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 11

I have the lace scroll mold and it is a pain in the bee-hive!

I rolled thin snakes and pushed it inot the mold and smoothed it flat. The areas where it over fills need to be cut off, which is quite tedious.

You can also make your fondant or gumpaste thinner by adding more crisco and greese up your finger with crisco and rub the area trying to pull the extra over the edge and seperate it from the cavity. Then smooth that edge back into the crevice and let it set up or pop it in the freezer before un-molding it.

Bluehue Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 11

icon_redface.gif - forgot to add ....

When you have all your fondant in the mold - go over it with your rolling pin - that will endure that it is in all the creases...and some of the *left over bits hanging around the edges* will fall away.

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gif

sister340 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 11

thank you so much for replying. This method is my plan B. Plan A was to cut scrolls with my cricut. Worked on that and it is okay, just having hard time getting really smooth edges. This mold was going to be my "no fail" back up. I'm starting to think I'll work with the cricut again. I have a lot to learn! But getting your input really moves that process on faster for me!
j.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%