Question About Making The 'dam'.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm by Loucinda

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 14

When I'm making my dam, I use a piping bag with only the coupler so that a uniform long sausage of frosting comes out, then I fill in the dam.

If I want a thicker layer of frosting for the filling, should I pipe two dams one on top of the other, thus making it higher and allowing for more room for frosting??

Of course after that I would have to ensure that everything is settled before covering with fondant so as to avoid the bulge.

TIA!

13 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 14

I've never piped a dam on top of a dam. I have used a coupler and have gone really slowly around the cake - letting the icing puff up taller and bigger than if I had gone slowly.

I'd say try it though. It never hurts to try.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 14

Sure you can.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 14

Awesome! It sounds like I'll have to do that next time then! Who knew? LOL. Obviously not me!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 14

I have been doing a new technique for the dam. I make the buttercream really stiff, and instead of putting it in the piping bag, I make a "snake" out of it (rolling it with my hands like fondant) and set it on the cake. Works out fine, and I don't mess with filling another piping bag. Doing it this way, you can make the snake/rope of icing however thick you want it to be.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 14

Wow Loucinda that's an interesting technique and I think I will have to give it a try icon_smile.gif

Thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 14

Oh, Loucinda... I LOVE YOU!!! You are my newest bestest friend!!! And I paid outrageous shipping just to get a handful of stupid couplers without that little notch in them!!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 14

Good to know that I can adjust the thickness of the dam. I've found that when I only pipe one line of frosting, then fill the dam, the frosting is only a very thin layer when we cut the cake. I would like my cakes to have a little more filling in them.

Thanks for the replies!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 14

I do it the same way Loucinda! I hate messing with piping bags.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have been doing a new technique for the dam. I make the buttercream really stiff, and instead of putting it in the piping bag, I make a "snake" out of it (rolling it with my hands like fondant) and set it on the cake. Works out fine, and I don't mess with filling another piping bag. Doing it this way, you can make the snake/rope of icing however thick you want it to be.

that's what I do too as I kept blowing out the bag

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Same here!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 14

If you want a bigger dam, use a disposable bag and just cut a bigger hole in the end.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 14

I actually do pipe two dams, one on top of the other. It works pretty well. I dont fill my filling all the way to the top of the icing then when I put the layers together I squish down really hard and amost never have any bulge.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #14 of 14

Glad to know there are others out there who use the same technique! I LOVE it - don't have to waste a bag - and I just keep a bowl of the stiff stuff made up, so I can make the dams whenever I need one. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%