Making Your Own Leaf Veiners.....?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 3:20pm by HamSquad

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 24

Anyone ever made their own leaf veiner? How would I go about doing that? Just curious. I really don't want to pay such high prices for a tool that I personally wouldn't use bery often.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

23 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #2 of 24

There is a latex material that you can buy at the craft store and use it to make molds and veiners. I think it is kind of expensive, not sure though. I bought a set of 4 leaf veiners, FMM brand, and I use them for all sorts of leaves and flowers. They were 10.00. Expensive for 4, but I get a lot of use out of them.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 24

I have thought about it myself, what I was wondering is if you got a plastic or rubber leave with the design that you wanted could we use some of that plaster stuff or silicone to make ours?????????? Just wondering. I'm sure were there is a will there is a way, people on here figure stuff out all the time, I'm watching this also for a better answer. Good luck!!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #4 of 24

www.makeyourownmolds.com

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 24

That's a great site Tatorchip! Unfortunately I don't think I would use the molds enough to warrant such an expense. BUT....if I could think of a few more molds that I need THEN it might be worth it! LOL!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 24

If you can find them, plastic (not silk) leaves and flower petals work really well for veining. I use the ones I have all the time.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 24

Misdawn, the site tatorchip posted is great. I've made molds and 2 pounds of the silicone plastique has gone a long longway (made dozens of molds). You can also use a similar mixture that you get from Michaels and with the coupons, it would be a great deal.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 24

diane's method sounds really good!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:54am
post #9 of 24

.. the dry husk from a corn cob .. easy cheap and replaceable ..

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:54am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

I have a corn on the cob holder from the dollar store that has the "veins" / pattern on the back that I have used.

Rylan Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

I have a corn on the cob holder from the dollar store that has the "veins" / pattern on the back that I have used.

After reading this, I immediately went to the dollar store to look for one. I couldn't find any so I just got some corn husts and made a mold out of it.

tatorchip Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:46am
post #12 of 24

Rylan, let us know how it came out and how you did it. I am always begging lol

Rylan Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:13am
post #13 of 24

It actually came out great. It looks just like the corn husk but in silicone form. I like the corn husk idea but it's basically disposable so I just replicated it with the mold maker from Make Your Own Molds.

All I did Is I mixed the Silicone Plastique mixture and then made a rectangle sheet (about 1/3" thick) on a smooth surface and then pressed the corn husk on top.

I suggest you coat the husk in seal dit first because there are pores (website explains what it is for).

Overall, I am happy with the outcome. I can't wait to use it.

Btw, the mold mixture is extremely worth it. I got 2 pounds for $44 and I came up with molds that could be worth atleast $200.

tatorchip Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:42am
post #14 of 24

I am going to make more but I don't know about the corn, I only made flat sheets so far and I used window screen and I had an old plastic lamp shade and broke it and made mold from it. The more I think about it I might make the corn. It would make a great leaf veiner. Thanks Rylan

Rylan Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:54am
post #15 of 24

No problem. The screen sounds neat! That I got to try. I actually find it addicting to make molds. I bought tons of buttons and pendants and made molds. I also got some wooden scrolls (use to put design on frames) and made some neat molds out of it.

tatorchip Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:01pm
post #16 of 24

yeah wooden scrolls, gotta do that, that would be great to go around bottom edge of sheet cakes would be cool for adding a different texture to bc without making people that dislikes fondant too worried. Hummmmmmmm you are making me think too early in the a.m. lol

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:20pm
post #17 of 24

i apologize, i guess i am not completely awake....how does making a mold of a corn husk make it useful for veining leaves? i can understand the plastic leaf....please explain, i love to try new things.... icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #18 of 24

Tatorchip, oh yes! That would be awesome.

Ruth, well there are some flowers that has similar veins as corn husks.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #19 of 24

I have been looking for this info for a while, thanks
Ry we have to have a little chat.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #20 of 24

I had been wondering about these. I saw them demonstrating them at the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show. Might have to pull out the coupon and give it a try.

ellersickc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellersickc Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:45pm
post #21 of 24

icon_biggrin.gif i was wondering at micheals, what materials to buy to make your own molds? i go there almost every week with my coupons for 50% item and am interested in how to accomplish this inexpensively. thanks for the advice!

Rylan Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #22 of 24

I get mines at Make Your Own Molds--by Dominic.

At Michaels, you can check out the Amazing Mold Putty. I'm not sure if that is the actual name but it has a baby on the box.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #23 of 24

I bought the mold stuff. Tried making an elephant last night. Did not do so well. I bought a toy elephant and wanted a mold of half the elephant for 2D effect. Not working so well for me. I don't know if it is too large to be doing...probably more that I don't know what I'm doing. Seemed the clay was drying faster than what I needed it to.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:20pm
post #24 of 24

Hello Rylan and CCer's, Rylan you are correct the name of the putty at Michael's is Amazing Mold Putty. I just tried it last week. Just made pearl molds and the wood scroll mold. With the Amazing Mold putty you have 3 mins to mix and mold, however, to slow this down a little refrigerate according to directions. I love it, later I plan to try your product. HTH
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%