Making Your Own Leaf Veiners.....?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 12 Nov 2009 , 3:20pm by HamSquad

Misdawn Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 24

Anyone ever made their own leaf veiner? How would I go about doing that? Just curious. I really don't want to pay such high prices for a tool that I personally wouldn't use bery often.

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

23 replies
ttehan4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #2 of 24

There is a latex material that you can buy at the craft store and use it to make molds and veiners. I think it is kind of expensive, not sure though. I bought a set of 4 leaf veiners, FMM brand, and I use them for all sorts of leaves and flowers. They were 10.00. Expensive for 4, but I get a lot of use out of them.

debster Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 24

I have thought about it myself, what I was wondering is if you got a plastic or rubber leave with the design that you wanted could we use some of that plaster stuff or silicone to make ours?????????? Just wondering. I'm sure were there is a will there is a way, people on here figure stuff out all the time, I'm watching this also for a better answer. Good luck!!

tatorchip Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #4 of 24

www.makeyourownmolds.com

Misdawn Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 24

That's a great site Tatorchip! Unfortunately I don't think I would use the molds enough to warrant such an expense. BUT....if I could think of a few more molds that I need THEN it might be worth it! LOL!

dsilvest Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 24

If you can find them, plastic (not silk) leaves and flower petals work really well for veining. I use the ones I have all the time.

Rylan Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 24

Misdawn, the site tatorchip posted is great. I've made molds and 2 pounds of the silicone plastique has gone a long longway (made dozens of molds). You can also use a similar mixture that you get from Michaels and with the coupons, it would be a great deal.

crazydoglady Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 24

diane's method sounds really good!

auzzi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:54am
post #9 of 24

.. the dry husk from a corn cob .. easy cheap and replaceable ..

cookiemama2 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:54am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

I have a corn on the cob holder from the dollar store that has the "veins" / pattern on the back that I have used.

Rylan Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

I have a corn on the cob holder from the dollar store that has the "veins" / pattern on the back that I have used.

After reading this, I immediately went to the dollar store to look for one. I couldn't find any so I just got some corn husts and made a mold out of it.

tatorchip Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:46am
post #12 of 24

Rylan, let us know how it came out and how you did it. I am always begging lol

Rylan Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:13am
post #13 of 24

It actually came out great. It looks just like the corn husk but in silicone form. I like the corn husk idea but it's basically disposable so I just replicated it with the mold maker from Make Your Own Molds.

All I did Is I mixed the Silicone Plastique mixture and then made a rectangle sheet (about 1/3" thick) on a smooth surface and then pressed the corn husk on top.

I suggest you coat the husk in seal dit first because there are pores (website explains what it is for).

Overall, I am happy with the outcome. I can't wait to use it.

Btw, the mold mixture is extremely worth it. I got 2 pounds for $44 and I came up with molds that could be worth atleast $200.

tatorchip Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:42am
post #14 of 24

I am going to make more but I don't know about the corn, I only made flat sheets so far and I used window screen and I had an old plastic lamp shade and broke it and made mold from it. The more I think about it I might make the corn. It would make a great leaf veiner. Thanks Rylan

Rylan Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:54am
post #15 of 24

No problem. The screen sounds neat! That I got to try. I actually find it addicting to make molds. I bought tons of buttons and pendants and made molds. I also got some wooden scrolls (use to put design on frames) and made some neat molds out of it.

tatorchip Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:01pm
post #16 of 24

yeah wooden scrolls, gotta do that, that would be great to go around bottom edge of sheet cakes would be cool for adding a different texture to bc without making people that dislikes fondant too worried. Hummmmmmmm you are making me think too early in the a.m. lol

grandmaruth Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:20pm
post #17 of 24

i apologize, i guess i am not completely awake....how does making a mold of a corn husk make it useful for veining leaves? i can understand the plastic leaf....please explain, i love to try new things.... icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:16pm
post #18 of 24

Tatorchip, oh yes! That would be awesome.

Ruth, well there are some flowers that has similar veins as corn husks.

Uniqueask Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #19 of 24

I have been looking for this info for a while, thanks
Ry we have to have a little chat.

txnonnie Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #20 of 24

I had been wondering about these. I saw them demonstrating them at the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show. Might have to pull out the coupon and give it a try.

ellersickc Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 11:45pm
post #21 of 24

icon_biggrin.gif i was wondering at micheals, what materials to buy to make your own molds? i go there almost every week with my coupons for 50% item and am interested in how to accomplish this inexpensively. thanks for the advice!

Rylan Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 12:15am
post #22 of 24

I get mines at Make Your Own Molds--by Dominic.

At Michaels, you can check out the Amazing Mold Putty. I'm not sure if that is the actual name but it has a baby on the box.

txnonnie Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #23 of 24

I bought the mold stuff. Tried making an elephant last night. Did not do so well. I bought a toy elephant and wanted a mold of half the elephant for 2D effect. Not working so well for me. I don't know if it is too large to be doing...probably more that I don't know what I'm doing. Seemed the clay was drying faster than what I needed it to.

HamSquad Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:20pm
post #24 of 24

Hello Rylan and CCer's, Rylan you are correct the name of the putty at Michael's is Amazing Mold Putty. I just tried it last week. Just made pearl molds and the wood scroll mold. With the Amazing Mold putty you have 3 mins to mix and mold, however, to slow this down a little refrigerate according to directions. I love it, later I plan to try your product. HTH
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%