Cake Mixes

Decorating By calliebeth Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 3:10am by cksweets

calliebeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calliebeth Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 8

I am making my own wedding cake and I need to know how many cake mixes to buy. We are making a hexagon 4 tier cake...6inch...9inch...12 inch...15 inch...thanks!! I would like to have three layers per tier.

7 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #2 of 8

sounds like atleast a dozen to me

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 8

I really cannot impress upon you to think really really hard............about if you need to do this yourself..................really

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 8

wow calliebeth! i can't image making my own wedding cake. but more power to ya!

i use the super enhanced cake recipe from this website to make my cake mixes go further...also helps with the "sturdyness". hope this helps!

be sure to post pics!

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 8

Wow! What a project! You might find this link helpful. It is a chart from Wilton that tells you how many cups of batter you will need to fill each size of pan. Also, if you are buying Wilton pans, they come with an insert that tells you how many cups of cake batter to use per pan. You'll need to choose your brand of cake mix, prepare a test batch, and find out how many cups of batter that cake mix makes. All brands are slightly different. Good luck!

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 8

Just an FYI - each cake mix (made as the box states) will make between 4 and 5 cups of batter. Duncan Hines IMO makes the most batter per mix of the big 3. That is gonna be a monster sized cake - good luck!!

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8

All Wilton yearbooks (old? and new) have a chart in the middle of the book (blue section) that is like my bible. It gives info for 2" and 3" pans, like # of party and wedding servings per 4" or 6" high cakes for each shape of pan, # of cups of cake batter, time and temp to bake them, # of cups (approx.) of icing needed just to ice the cake (+maybe a simple border), etc. It even has a chart to show you how to cut different shaped cakes to get the most servings. I use this page ALL THE TIME.

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:10am
post #8 of 8

delynn...i'm the same way. i have that chart printed and stuck to my backsplash!

the recipe if anyone was wondering can be found:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1953/super-enhanced-cake-formula

just in case anyone was wondering.

happy decorating everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%