Rum Cake Recipe

Baking By aharguess Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 1:54am by jlynnw

aharguess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aharguess Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 11

I'm looking for an excellent rum cake recipe I can make with a box of yellow cake. I plan on layering it with non-dairy whiptopping, should I add anything else like strawberries?
Do I add rum to the frosting, filling, or cake mix.
Help! I don't know how to start or finish.
I am then covering the cake in fondant. Cake, Cookies, Sweets & Other Dessert Recipes

10 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #2 of 11

bacardi.com baby all the way. I made the cake like so

1 mix
3 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup rum (I prefered dark)

This should be the same as the box directions. Mix and bake as directed. I then made a simple syrup with 1 cup rum, 1 cup water, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar. Bring to boil cool. Split cakes, brush liberally with syrup, filling of choice, and cover with rum buttercream. You can do a spiced rum, flavored rum or dark. It makes a great cake. I covered my cake in fondant and let it set overnight. I did not flavor my fondant but allowing the cake to mature the flavor thru and thru made a great cake.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 11

[center]I make a Barcardi Rum cake, but I use
1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 c dark rum
1/2 c cold milk
1 3/4 oz. instant vanilla pudding
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c pecans or walnuts chopped
Glaze;
1/2 c butter
1/4 c water
1 c sugar
1/2 cup barcardi dark rum
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan. Combine all cake ingredients. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour.
Glaze: Melt butter in sauce pan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum. The rum will cause steam. Be careful not to burn yourself.
This cake is Y-U-M-M-Y.

jlynnw Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #4 of 11

I love that recipe and that glaze is amazing. I have never done that one with icing or fondant. Does it make up too rich for that?

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 11

To be honest I am not sure. I only use the glaze for this recipe and I have not begun to work with fondant (next adventure). However each time I make this cake I get requests for more. The only thing that I don't like about this recipe is that it does not bake very high. I probably would need 2 recipes for a two layer cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 11

My grandma has always done the above recipe with the glaze in a bundt pan and it is always eaten pretty quickly. It doesn't make it too rich at all.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

My grandma has always done the above recipe with the glaze in a bundt pan and it is always eaten pretty quickly. It doesn't make it too rich at all.

We have been making the Bacardi Rum cake with the glaze since it first hit the scene in the late seventies, early eighties... it is the most incredible cake ever!!! My mom still makes it as my official b-day cake each year. We make it in a Bundt pan with the chopped nuts and the glaze. It needs nothing else for adornment... can't imagine it with whipped topping and fruit, but might be interesting.

The original recipe is printed with permission in the Cake Mix Doctor's original cookbook.

edited for typo

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 11

Read that wrong, for some reason I thought it was being asked if the glaze made it too rich.

For me this has always been a bundt cake and I'm not sure I'd ever do it as a regular cake with icing. If I did I think I'd leave off the glaze and add the nuts to the batter before baking.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 11

these sound wonderful.. I might need to give one a try ...

aharguess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aharguess Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you so much everyone! I'm making the rum cake today! I'll post about it later icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #11 of 11

OK, I just had to try it with the fruit. Made the bacardi cake with the warm butter rum glaze. I got the strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, tossed them in a pot with carmelized sugar, grand marnier, and rum. Sliced the bundt cake, topped with fruit and fresh whipped cream. It was a slice of heaven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%