Wedding Show

Business By love2frost Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm by jlynnw

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:37am
post #1 of 14

I'm thinking about doing my first wedding show and was wondering if any one had any tips for me. I know I will need to take some dummy cakes, buisness cards, and cake samples but is there anything else that's a big hit? Should I have a give away besides cake samples? Should I invest in a big "sign" for the booth? One that I can drap in front of the table or maybe the wall behind me?

13 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 14

You can go on vista print and get a banner for free (you pay shipping only) and they look nice. You can have your business name put on it and hang it behind your booth.

I try and create designs in cakes that are different than the ususal ones. Keep it eye catching. I use mini cupcakes for samples and that has been a huge hit. You may want to offer a percentage off if they book their consultation at the show.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 14

You'll definitely need some type of sign to draw attention to your table. And Vistaprint is a great place to get them, as already mentioned.

I would also do mini - cupcakes and business cards. Lay your portfolio out on the table as well so that people can flip through it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 14

I strongly suggest cake samples in lidded souffle cups. They stay fresher and are easy to transport - just throw them in a box/bag.

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #5 of 14

Thanks so much for your advice!

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 14

I made drapes for the back and matching table clothes in chocolate brown. It really make the booth stand out.
And yes your sign should be big in the back, get a professional sign.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 14

Check with your state health dept. If I make cake samples that are pre-packaged in my shop, (lidded cups, for example) then I don't need to buy the extra $60 temp HD license. Disbursing "bare" food (not prepackaged, such as any hot foods or cupcakes just sitting out, not prepackaged) would require I buy this $60 temp license just for the show.

This is why I ALWAYS make samples in lidded cups. saves me $60 over the cost of the show.

tonyas_jewels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyas_jewels Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:09am
post #8 of 14

I'm just throwing this out s someone who has never done a show myself,but just went to one with sis inlaw and out of the 2 cake shops their,i can tell you they really needed more copies of their portfolios..1 is not enough....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:15am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyas_jewels

I'm just throwing this out s someone who has never done a show myself,but just went to one with sis inlaw and out of the 2 cake shops their,i can tell you they really needed more copies of their portfolios..1 is not enough....

I don't take printed photos. I have all of my cake photos on a Powerpoint presentation and I set my laptop up with this Powerpoint running. A single bride or a crowd of 15 can stand there and see the cakes as they scan across the screen.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:22am
post #10 of 14

Just went to a show and was really surprised. They had a Wii plugged into a large flat screen with the pictures going. The large as life pics were really eye catching. She had a double booth and her partener stood her up and she thought of this last minute. You would have thought she planned it all along that way.

post #11 of 14

Just went to a show and was really surprised. They had a Wii plugged into a large flat screen with the pictures going. The large as life pics were really eye catching. She had a double booth and her partener stood her up and she thought of this last minute. You would have thought she planned it all along that way.

post #12 of 14

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:29am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

That's a great idea! Then you don't have to worry because lots of people can see your cakes all at once.

jlynnw Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #14 of 14

I don't know why it posted so many times icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%