My First Topsy Turvy Cake!

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 2:39am by cylstrial

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 10

Im proud. I did better than I thought I would. I made my first gumpaste bow too. Need a little work on that. lol.

I had a question about the cake. I had a little problem with the top layer being too heavy for the bottom layer. The directions I found on this website stated to use 3 sized pans, for example, a 7, 8, and 9 inch. The smallest layer being on the bottom.

I only used two sizes on mine. I used a 5 and 6 on the bottom. The 5 inch seemed like it was being squooshed under the weight of the 6 inch. Do you guys normally have this problem? I used WASC, maybe it just wasnt a dense enough cake? If I use less water in the wasc will it make the cake denser and stronger?

Any tips that could help me out for next time?
LL

9 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 10

Your much braver than I am! LOL I have never done a topsy and I am petrified to do one.

Love the bright colors! What did you use for support between the tiers?

JCE62108 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:08am
post #3 of 10

Oh geez try it! lol. Its much easier than it seems. hahaha. I actually didnt put a support in it because the cake was so small. It was a 5 and 6 on the bottom, and a 4 and 5 on the top. Normally you just put your dowels and cake plate like you normally would. I use the SPS by bakery crafts.

Do one for practice! I didnt even have a reason to do it, I just didnt want to turn a customer down if they asked for it, so I figured Id better learn how to do it. icon_smile.gif It was really fun to make

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:35am
post #4 of 10

LOL...Bakkkk Bakkkkk (chicken talk)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #5 of 10

It's very cute! I've never made one. It looks like rather than changing your recipe maybe you just needed the support between the tiers. I've noticed even small things get heavy when they're covered with fondant.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 10

Great job for your first time! I agree with TR - you need to have the supports in there, it wasn't your recipe.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 10

That looks so good to be your first time...I've been saying for weeks that I am going to attempt to make one, I'm terrified of doing a TT!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 10

But my white feather coat is so warm and cosy... Image

JCE62108 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 10

lol! Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah for a customer Ill build it the RIGHT way, lol, so maybe I wont have that problem. It was just such a small cake that I didnt think it would need it but I guess I was wrong.

Oh BTW if I had to do this for the first time for a customer, I WOULD have been terrified. That is why I did some research on how to do it and just did it for fun. The tutorial on this site is great.

I have a lot of time on my hands now that my job laid me off. grrrr. Now Im trying to make it on my own. Not working so far, lol, but Im trying hard to make a name for myself. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #10 of 10

It is so cute! I really need to get around to making one of those. =o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%