When The Client Has No Idea..

Business By HarleyDee Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm by cylstrial

HarleyDee Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 10

Got a call from a lady a couple of days ago. She is the mother of the bride-to-be. Her daughter is getting married in November, but is in the middle of moving a state away. So she has left all of the planning to the mother. Neither of them have any idea what they want for their cake. The only thing the mother told me is, "The bridesmaids' dresses are chocolate brown."

So I went to the florist that they are using and asked what flowers he'll be decorating. He said, "Well they didn't really care, so we chose some ivory roses, and some orange and mocha accents." He said they didn't really give him any direction either.

I have a consultation with the mother tomorrow, so I guess I'll just make up several different kinds of sketches, and see if one strikes her fancy.

This ever happen to any of you? What do you do, just start throwing out ideas and see if they say yes or no? icon_smile.gif

9 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 10

Chocolate and cream colored roses with fondant ribbons and bows were a big hit 2 years ago. Maybe it's time to revive the past. Add a cameo or something to the side of a middle tier.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GenGen Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 10

keep us updated~ this will help out alot of others who come across this too icon_smile.gif the flowers sound lovely. why not create something that matches them in a sense (sorry i wasn't more help. i don't do alot of wedding cakes)

indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 10

Do an Ivory iced cake then decorate with flowers from the florist. It will all match.

I tell these kinds of brides, "Oh good! That means I get to decide and YOU dont' get to complain about it!" icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 10

I greatly PREFER brides with no clue what they want. I look at their dress. There's usually a motif of some sort I can pull out to use in the design of their cake. A flower, a leaf, a swirl, anything.

And then there's an ivory cake, chocolate fondant ribbon, fresh flowers, edible pearls. Classic and pretty.

HarleyDee Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I tell these kinds of brides, "Oh good! That means I get to decide and YOU dont' get to complain about it!" icon_biggrin.gif

Haha, that's awesome icon_smile.gif

GenGen Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:41am
post #7 of 10

using the dress as inspiration is a great idea. i love wedding dresses.

HarleyDee Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 10

Just got back from the consult. The mother really had no idea what she wanted, lol. I would say, "Well, do you think you might want buttercream or fondant?" And she would say, " I don't know, what do you think?" Lol. Or she kept asking, "What do you do the most?" or "What's in right now, because my daughter really won't care."

So this is what we came up with icon_smile.gif A 4-tier round cake, with off-white fondant to match the color of the bride's dress. The bottom and third tiers will have quilting studded with pearls. The second and top tiers will just have piped scroll work. And then there will be fondant swags cascading down the cake, with clusters of fresh red-orange and ivory roses (to match the bouquets) at each gathering.

I think it will be really pretty.

Mme_K Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 10

Sounds beautiful! Be sure to post pictures. Good luck & have fun. thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

So this is what we came up with icon_smile.gif A 4-tier round cake, with off-white fondant to match the color of the bride's dress. The bottom and third tiers will have quilting studded with pearls. The second and top tiers will just have piped scroll work. And then there will be fondant swags cascading down the cake, with clusters of fresh red-orange and ivory roses (to match the bouquets) at each gathering.

I think it will be really pretty.

It sounds like it will be gorgeous!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%