How To Store Layers Until Ready To Assemble?

Decorating By Daisy135 Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 9:54pm by Daisy135

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my brother's groom's cake in December. The complication is that the wedding is in my hometown which is 1 1/2 hours from where I live now.

I plan to prepare all of my frosting, fondant, and filling (choc ganache) at home b/c I prefer working in my own kitchen icon_smile.gif I will have to bake the cakes on Wed night and then pack everything up on Thurs morning to transport it to my mom's house where I will start assembling the cake on Thursday afternoon with finishing touches and setup at the reception site on Friday morning.

My questions:
1. Is it okay for the cake to be at room temperature from Thursday afternoon until the wedding Friday night?
I think it should b/c I will be using choc cake (from mix) with ganache filling, shortening based icing, & fondant...am I correct?

2. What should I do with the cakes from the time they are baked until I start to assemble? It will be approximately 24 hours. Can I just saran wrap and refrigerate the layers? I am not crazy about freezing them but could if necessary.

Thanks for the help! I usually do my baking & decorating at home the day before the event and refrigerate until the next day so I don't have experience stretching out the process like this.

Christie

3 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 4

I would of said wrapping them and sticking them in the fridge till you need them shouldnt hurt at all really. I freeze my cakes regardless and they are always beautiful.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 4

The cakes will be fine. Once you bake them, fill them and wrap them in saran wrap the night before and it will set up nicely in the fridge. Once it's out and covered in fondant, it will keep for a long while. The cakes will still be moist. I have done this routine with every cake I do and they are still wonderful.
You'll be fine...good luck!

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%