Cake Sizes And Scrolls

Decorating By Rosa2745 Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm by ebredhawk

Rosa2745 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 4

I need help with a cake. A friend wants me to make a tiered cake for her son's 15th birthday. Months ago they told me about it and I was ok about it. Until I find out it's going to be a cake to serve 200-250 people. The largest pan I own is a 16 round so I don't want the largest tier any bigger than that. So here are my questions.
1. What cake sizes would accomodate this type of cake? I want to keep the appearance as close as possible to the original picture. The cake will be 4 to 5 teirs. (I perfer 4)
2. What tip and frosting is good for scroll work. It will be dark brown on white so it can't bleed. (not too confident in my scroll work so any tips will be appreciated)
3. If I plan to use an sps system can I take 2 cakes stacked and then stack the other two on at the party?
The cake can be found at

3 replies
ebredhawk Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 4

a 14, 12, 10, 8 round cake would serve about 200 people based on 1'' x 2'' servings. as for the scrolls, if you aren't confident, wilton makes sets of scroll presses that you just push into the cake to make an impression and pipe over it. i've seen beautiful scrollwork done with both buttercream and royal, so it probably depends on your level of comfort with each.

if you use sps (which i HIGHLY recommend), you can definitely do it that way, just make sure the tiers that aren't stacked won't be sliding around in your car and they'll make it safely. if you've seen the tutorial leah_s did, she mentions that she doesn't always put the top tier on until she gets to the site so she can make sure the cake and table are level.

good luck with your cake!! you are definitely a good friend as that is QUITE a cake for a boy's 15th birthday!

Rosa2745 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much. What if I wanted to make it over 200 servings. I want my base to be a 16. How would I keep the brown from bleeding onto the white cake?

ebredhawk Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 4

you can play with the numbers on this chart to get the servings you want...

i've never had a problem with the color bleeding as long as you don't thin out your icing too much, it isn't too humid and you don't do the scrollwork too far in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%