Spider Web

Decorating By farmersdaughter4 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 3:46am by farmersdaughter4

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have information and instructions on how to make a spider web/hammock type structure. I plan on displaying a baby fairy on cake and thought of having baby in "spider web/hammock" suspended between two flowers/twigs, etc. Thought of royal icing, passilage (sp?) or spun sugar but don't know how to go about structuring this. THANKS so much for your help.

11 replies
live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 12

There is a product called Sugar Vail ( ?) on the spelling. I used it to make a spider web for a cake I did. It really works great. It is really flexable and easy to manipulate. The Sugar Vail is white base but I just used my cake colors and turned my web black. You are welcome to look at the Spider Man Cake in my photos if you would like. Good Luck

farmersdaughter4 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much.

I've looked them up and now I'm excited about their product - their cake gallery is wonderful - such talented artists.

Here's their site (Sugar Veil) in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.sugarveil.com/index.htm

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 12

live2create,

I just ordered a bag of SugarVeil icing mix to make a black spider web. It should arrive tomorrow. Can you please share what type of black colorant (gel, liquid, powder?) you used? And what size tip did you use to pipe the web?

Thanks! That web and all your work looks great.

live2create Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 12

Grandmom,
For my color I just used my normal cake colors the gel or paste should work fine, I don't remember the tip size, I think it was a smaller one because it may tend to spread out a little when I drew out my web.
I made a pattern on freezer paper then placed wax paper over the top of my pattern then used the SugarVeil and traced over the top of the pattern, and it will peel off really nice after it has dried. Hope this helps.

grandmom Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you, that helps a lot. I read on the SugarVeil website to use powder color for very dark colors, and I wasn't sure what they meant - maybe petal dust? But anyway, if your regular coloring worked for you, I will give that a try tomorrow night! Thanks again, I appreciate your help!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 12

I am aware of this recipe and have the ingredients on hand. I intend to try the SugarVeil icing mix and then this recipe if I'm not happy with the mix.

The icing mix cost about $20 for enough mix for 10 -12 cups (plus shipping, but I was ordering other stuff from GSA anyway) and seems very straight forward - just add water. The ingredients for the recipe on this site cost $5.50 and somewhere the poster guessed the yield to be about 4 cups. Not quite as costly as the icing mix, but it does appear to be a bit more involved. I'll pay a buck or two for easy if I can!! Just call me lazy...

If I try both and see anything remarkable, I'll post the results.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 12

Grandmom, be very very accurate with your measuring. I mean scrape the sides down and everything. Also, be mindful of the humidity levels in your home on the day you are making it. It will dry to tacky-set in as little as 15 minutes to an hour, meaning you can pick it up and drape it, but it doesn't take long for it to go to "dry as a bone brittle don't even think about touching it again", in a matter of minutes. Very very finicky stuff. I am pretty sure that adding dark coloring will affect it's properties significantly. Best to practice a few times, I would think.

live2create Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 12

I didnt have any problems with it drying to the brittle point, I let mine set over night and was able to pick up the next moring and drape just how I wanted. I didn't find it hard to work with at all but I appreicate knowing there can be issues.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 12

Yeah, I have sucky unpredictable weather where I am. Usually hot and dry, but humid the next without warning. Ugh! I rarely pull out that Sugarveil anymore.

farmersdaughter4 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:46am
post #12 of 12

7yyrt.....

Thanks for the gummy spider web with marshmallow reference...I will try this recipe as I think Sugar Veil is pricey, but apparently easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%