Coloured Gelatin

Decorating By lynseyg2002 Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm by Loucinda

lynseyg2002 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:38am
post #1 of 7

Hi all, im looking for ideas for my project, and i would like to use coloured gelatin for the windows. Has anyone any ideas on how much gelatin to water for a glass effect. TFL

6 replies
cakesrock Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 7

I once used lifesavers (melted on parchment paper on low in the oven) for a stained glass window effect on a gingerbread house - worked well! I've never used colored gelatin - only sheets.

Loucinda Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 7

The instructions that justdi gives for the gelatin bows and butterflies would work perfectly for windows. Just make the gelatin sheets with the sugar free jello (or color the plain gelatin whatever color you are wanting) and let them dry. Then you can cut them into what ever size windows you would need or want!

Here is the posts on how to do the gelatin.

lynseyg2002 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much. I will give these a try, and post pics later.

lynseyg2002 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:19am
post #5 of 7

Ok....I need help again! I tried the geltain mix, made it to the recipe stated, but it has completely ruined all of the windows, where did I go wrong? Please can someone help.
Has anyone ever tried boiled sugar? Will it effect any of the flower paste?

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 7

You need to make the gelatin into SHEETS and let it dry, THEN cut it to fit your windows. You can't use it in it's liquid/gel form!

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 7

I also wanted to add - if you are going to be baking your project, do NOT use the gelatin for windows until after the item is baked. It won't do well in an oven either.

For a gingerbread house window - bake and trim your gingerbread, then cut the gelatin sheet a little larger than the window opening - then glue it to the inside of the piece, you can use gumglue on it - I am not sure how well using melted gelatin would work holding on to the gingerbread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%