Trying To Establish Pricing

Business By Echooo3 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm by sweetcakes

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:17am
post #1 of 9

I understand the $3.50 per serving rule, but how about a simple yellow cake with chocolate buttercream to serve 30 people, nothing fancy.

I'm having a real hard time quoting for this cake because it is so simple, no trimmings, no decorations but it is what he wants - a square yellow cake with chocolate buttercream - doesn't get much easier than that.

Thanks guys.

8 replies
ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:01am
post #2 of 9

What is this ..... $xyz per serve ruling????

Echooo3 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 9

I see many postings about charing $3.00+ per serving for wedding cakes. That's what I was talking about. However, this is a very simple cake.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 9

That's what I'm finding difficult to understand - surely it has to be costed by you - according to YOUR costs associated with making this cake - work out the costs for the complete cake, ingredients, time, etc. etc. etc
Shouldn't matter what per serve it is - its the total amount that you must be satisifed with - and if in the end it comes out to $1 per serve or $5 per serve...... its basically irrelevant, as the bottom line is - you must cover your costs and make a profit that YOU are happy with icon_biggrin.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 9

If you need help with the costing part you can try the pricing matrices at the top of the Decorating Business forum. It requires a little work, but it's a real eye opener for the cost of a cake, even a simple one. I think that a lot of the people on here develop their cost/serving based on an average after running their costs on a variety of cakes. HTH.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 9

Buttercream for me starts at $3 per serving, period. That is not a special "wedding" cake price, that is just a regular 'ol cake price & thats how most people I know charege. Wedding or birhtday cake, it doesn't make a difference. Now I understand how you feel about charging that for someone who wants just a regular 'ol cake, but the price doesn't change. I don't suggest anyone go to a "custom" cake person for just a basic cake. I would suggest they go to a traditional bakery, cause I can not match their prices at all. But if they insist, cause they just love the taste of your cakes, then the price doesn't change.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 9

I am just starting out in my business, and my starting price per serving is $3.00 for a no frills buttercream design like you are describing. Simple fondant designs start at $3.50 per serving, and carved cakes start at $5.00.
The Cake Boss software is a great investment for your business, and will help you determine how much to price your cakes. Just a thought. thumbs_up.gif

Echooo3 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 9

Looks like it's time for the cake boss. I'm just getting started, waiting on final inspections so I've got to get my pricing in order.

Thank you everyone.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 9

what your talking about is a dessert cake, nothing fancy, just iced. one that will be cut into slices say after dinner. I dont charge my regular cake prices for these, like you say its not going to take any time to ice. You will certainly need to work out the pricing for ingredients etc and then add on what you need to after that. No one is going to pay the same price as a decorated cake for one that is just iced. similar to why a chocolate covered apple is more then a regular apple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%