Satin Ice, Fondarific Or Pettinice

Decorating By bafishr Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm by MissRobin

bafishr Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:29am
post #1 of 21

I am getting ready to order more fondant and am wondering if anyone has tried Pettinice. I have used Satin Ice and Fondarific and like both but am always willing to try something new. Can anyone tell me how Pettinice tastes compared to these two?

20 replies
kaseyrconnect Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:05am
post #2 of 21

I was wondering the same thing, I also have tried both satin ice and fondarific and liked them both / but i was wondering about pettinice so i ordered it today. Hopefully it will be as good or better than the other two. I can let you know after i try it, but you will probably get some answers from others before that.

sugarandslice Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:42am
post #3 of 21

I haven't tried Satin Ice or Fondarific but I do LOVE Pettinice. I find it really easy to use, has a pleasant, mild taste and doesn't smell too sweet the way some others do. I also find it quite easy to knead.

Rylan Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:44am
post #4 of 21

A lot of people love the taste of Fondarific. I'm not sure but I believe Pettin Ice has a really nice firm texture which I'd prefer.

Vanilla Satin Ice to me has a nice consistency although I am not really a fan of the taste. Taste wise, I'd pick Fondx, Chocolate Satin Ice and of course the best tasting Chocopan--love the caramel.

Jan14grands Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 21

I use black and red Satin Ice, but I use FONDX for everything else. It is wonderful and tastes so good. I've not tried Pettin Ice.

sweetisome Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 21

I've been wonderig too about the best tasting fondant to use. So my question is .... satinice, fondarific, or chocopan...and is fondarific difficult to work with? I bout a small tub to see, but it feels a bit soft...I'm tinking of covering a sculpted cake with it and I don't want it to tear.

cylstrial Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 21

I use Satin Ice all the time. But I also love Fondx.

Rita1969 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 21

I ordered fondarific. I love the taste but I'm wondering how will work.
So far I have used Wilton RTU. It was pretty good, but the taste is .......
I'm looking forward to use different fondant.

Kitagrl Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 21

I prefer Satin Ice or FondX to Pettinice....I don't like the taste of chocolate Satin Ice but I do like how it looks and works.

I haven't tried Fondarific.

SandiOh Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 21

I dont like Pettinice, it has an aftertaste. I like Fondarific more. haven't tried satin ice.

terrig007 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 21

I used the Fondarific this weekend on a small carved cake and it worked fine. It was for a LTC promotion and I had to carve the Oak Leaf as a gift for my husband's boss. Everyone loved the taste of the fondant. I happened to have a tub I had picked up at the NCACS and it had enough to cover the cake & it colored really easy, easier than Satin Ice ever had. I think I will stick with Fondarific.

bafishr Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks for all your replies. Is Fondx easy to knead and roll? Fondarific works great on cakes as it is stretches and is forgiving you really don't need as much.

Sicilian Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 21

I'm getting ready to use Pettinice with Merckens Super White Chocolate morsels that Jennifer Dontz sells. She has this marvelous website and DVD's that show how to use both products. The white chocolate adds more flavor to the Pettinice and also makes it easier to work with for longer periods of time. Jennifer's website is www.sugardelites.com. She is really helpful on any questions you ask.

Kerry_Kake Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 21

I just ordered Fondarific for the first time...it hasn't came yet. I've used the Satin Ice but I'm not sure I really care for the taste. I was wondering if fondarific tastes better since it is buttercream flavor. I also found Satin Ice dried really fast and I got elephant skin a lot. I am used to working with mmf which doesn't dry as fast.

Shoot, I just read the OP's question again and this has nothing to do with it tapedshut.gif

Rylan Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafishr

Thanks for all your replies. Is Fondx easy to knead and roll? Fondarific works great on cakes as it is stretches and is forgiving you really don't need as much.

Hmmm, that is a good question. I still have buckets of Fondx waiting to get opened and I am still unsure how it really performs. I have tasted it and felt the texture but I find that it is softer than Satin Ice.

Kerry_Kake Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I have tasted it and felt the texture but I find that it is softer than Satin Ice.

Oh, and I thought Satin Ice was soft! Wouldn't it tare easily? Ok, Rylan go make another cake and try that stuff out! LOL! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 21

Kerry, I believe Satin Ice isn't consistent with every batch. I've had really firm ones and I've had really soft ones. Hmmm, I wonder how Fondx performs. I'll be making a cake in a few days and I'll let you know on
Youtube.

MissRobin Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:44pm
post #18 of 21

Well, I had a horrible weekend with my Satin Ice, And I have almost a 20 lb. bucket of ivory left, that I want to just throw in the trash, that's how bad it was. I have done many fondant cakes and never had as much trouble as I did with these two. I did everything the way I normally do and it was a nightmare. Bubbling, rippling and just a mess. I think my next order will be for Massa.

Sicilian Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:24pm
post #19 of 21

I have to join the others in judging Satin Ice. I just covered a cake dummy with it and I hate how the fondant looks. You just can't seem to smooth it out like other fondants. I'm now rethinking my decorations to cover the tears. I've used shortening to try and smooth out tears and cracks but it only does so much. I won't be using Satin Ice again. It will be Pettinice. The only reason I had ordered Satin Ice was because they had it in red and black and I wanted the true colors.

bafishr Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #20 of 21

I ordered the Satin Ice yesterday, I need it by Friday, thank goodness I only ordered a 5lb. bucket. I have used it in the past with minor problems, but was told to add a little shortening when kneading. I really like the taste and texture of Fondarific but can't always afford it. I do cakes on the side and don't charge enough. That's for another thread.

MissRobin, have you used Massa? I'm supposed to be attending a class with Nicholas Lodge on Massa. I sampled a piece of Massa at the National Area Cake Show and wasn't crazy about the taste. I was thinking about cancelling but then again I would get a chance to meet Nicholas Lodge!

MissRobin Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafishr

I ordered the yesterday, I need it by Friday, thank goodness I only ordered a 5lb. bucket. I have used it in the past with minor problems, but was told to add a little shortening when kneading. I really like the taste and texture of Fondarific but can't always afford it. I do cakes on the side and don't charge enough. That's for another thread.

MissRobin, have you used Massa? I'm supposed to be attending a class with Nicholas Lodge on Massa. I sampled a piece of Massa at the National Area Cake Show and wasn't crazy about the taste. I was thinking about cancelling but then again I would get a chance to meet Nicholas Lodge!

I have not used it, however, the people who do, including alot of big names, Rebecca Sutterby, I believe Sharon, and a lot of people on another forum, have nothing but good to say about it!! They say the performance is fantastic and they will never go back. I really want to try it, Just haven't done it yet. Unless you place a approx. $200 dollar order you have to pay a minimum of $25 dollars shipping. I have just had alot of issues lately with Satin Ice, from cracking, to sagging, to bubbles and rippling. I know it is not all me, so I just need to move on and try something else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%