Wedding Cakes...free Anniversary Cake?

Business By rharris524 Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm by nonnyscakes

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #1 of 13

Do you offer a free topper cake or anniversary cake for wedding cakes?

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 13

I offer their choice: Free tier now or free tier later? 99.9% go for the free tier later.

It's pretty cool as they start coming back in a year. I love catching up with them and seeing what they're up to now.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 13

Since joining CC I learned from other members about offering the couple a gift certificate for a free 6" on their first anniversary, instead of having them save the top tier.

I love doing it this way and like Debi said it's nice to see them again and catch up.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 13

plus, it reminds them of how good my cakes are, and brings them backat the time when ome couples are starting to plan a family and may need a baby shower cake!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #5 of 13

I do the free anniversary cake. Brides love getting a fresh cake and it is nice to touch base with them again.

I was actually advised not to do this when I first started but it has worked out well for me so far. I think the client feels they are getting an extra perk when purchasing from me. I do have some brides that don't request it and I have several out of town brides every year so it's not like I am making these every weekend.

I limit them to vanilla or chocolate, it's two layers with bc and just says happy anniversary on top. I try to write it in their colors if I can remember and have time. Anything other than that is a cake order. I am not re-creating their cake or doing customization for free.

Just thought I would explain how I do it, HTH. icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I offer their choice: Free tier now or free tier later? 99.9% go for the free tier later.

It's pretty cool as they start coming back in a year. I love catching up with them and seeing what they're up to now.

I do the same...most of them choose later. I just give them a gift certificate. We have a big ol Mansion here, and some of my brides are destination brides (go figure...Oklahoma) but I always have a little extra batter and it is a nice gift.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 13

i have been thinking of doing this as well for the reasons stated in the previous posts. i am curious what everybody's free anniversary cake looks like? do you recreate their original top tier or like lennette in her post says she just keeps it simple? thanks!!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 13

Recreate it!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 13

I give it to them free at their one year anniversary.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 13

What size do you give them? The same size as their top tier originally?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 13

i will only do a 6" round for anniversary cakes.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 13

Something to think about....I've never done it that way (offered a fresh cake). I guess I worry that I will be crazy-busy when they want that cake in a year (isn't that always the way?) or God forbid, out of town!

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm
post #13 of 13

I guess you could put a disclaimer on the gift certificate that it must be ordered X number of weeks in advance and give it an expiration date of exactly 1 year from the wedding date (or at least the end of that month).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%