Wedding Cakes...free Anniversary Cake?

Business By rharris524 Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm by nonnyscakes

rharris524 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #1 of 13

Do you offer a free topper cake or anniversary cake for wedding cakes?

12 replies
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 13

I offer their choice: Free tier now or free tier later? 99.9% go for the free tier later.

It's pretty cool as they start coming back in a year. I love catching up with them and seeing what they're up to now.

Deb_ Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 13

Since joining CC I learned from other members about offering the couple a gift certificate for a free 6" on their first anniversary, instead of having them save the top tier.

I love doing it this way and like Debi said it's nice to see them again and catch up.

jillmakescakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 13

plus, it reminds them of how good my cakes are, and brings them backat the time when ome couples are starting to plan a family and may need a baby shower cake!

Lenette Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #5 of 13

I do the free anniversary cake. Brides love getting a fresh cake and it is nice to touch base with them again.

I was actually advised not to do this when I first started but it has worked out well for me so far. I think the client feels they are getting an extra perk when purchasing from me. I do have some brides that don't request it and I have several out of town brides every year so it's not like I am making these every weekend.

I limit them to vanilla or chocolate, it's two layers with bc and just says happy anniversary on top. I try to write it in their colors if I can remember and have time. Anything other than that is a cake order. I am not re-creating their cake or doing customization for free.

Just thought I would explain how I do it, HTH. icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I offer their choice: Free tier now or free tier later? 99.9% go for the free tier later.

It's pretty cool as they start coming back in a year. I love catching up with them and seeing what they're up to now.

I do the same...most of them choose later. I just give them a gift certificate. We have a big ol Mansion here, and some of my brides are destination brides (go figure...Oklahoma) but I always have a little extra batter and it is a nice gift.

cas17 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 13

i have been thinking of doing this as well for the reasons stated in the previous posts. i am curious what everybody's free anniversary cake looks like? do you recreate their original top tier or like lennette in her post says she just keeps it simple? thanks!!

jlsheik Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 13

Recreate it!

Wesha Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 13

I give it to them free at their one year anniversary.

nonnyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 13

What size do you give them? The same size as their top tier originally?

cas17 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 13

i will only do a 6" round for anniversary cakes.

cakedesigner59 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 13

Something to think about....I've never done it that way (offered a fresh cake). I guess I worry that I will be crazy-busy when they want that cake in a year (isn't that always the way?) or God forbid, out of town!

nonnyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm
post #13 of 13

I guess you could put a disclaimer on the gift certificate that it must be ordered X number of weeks in advance and give it an expiration date of exactly 1 year from the wedding date (or at least the end of that month).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%