I Have Been A Lerker For A While, But Now...

Decorating By scnix Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm by scnix

scnix Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 6

I am ready to jump in. My life has changed in a wonderful direction and my husband and I have moved to Wilmington, NC. The best part about this change (besides the beach and wonderful weather) is now I do not have to work full time.
So, I was wondering if anyone out there in cakeland could give me a few tips on how to starting becoming more serious about caking. I don't want to start my own business, I just want to go to a bakery and either bake, help decorate, or whatever. I am willing to do it all; work the front, do dishes, clean, bake, whatever they need. I am just not sure how to go about getting a job like this a a bakery or speciality cake shop. Do I walk in and show them what I have done in the past? Call and set up an appointment? Do I need some type of formal education in hospitiality? Any suggestions would be helpful. I do not know anyone in the area or about any of the shops in teh area, as I have just moved here.

I have been doing this for a hobby for little over a year. You can see my photos, I don't do a lot of cakes maybe one or two a month but I love it and would love to help someone do more.
Thanks wonderful CC'ers!

5 replies
cylstrial Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 6

I would just find some bakeries and go and apply everywhere that you can!

Echooo3 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:35am
post #3 of 6

Lucky you!! I believe you are even in a state where you can actually have a home bakery. What a lot of us would give for that option.

Congrats. I say bake from home and sell - you know you love doing it!!

gingersoave Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:50am
post #4 of 6

Congrats, I live in Virginia Beach and LOVE LOVE IT!!!!! I actually went to two local bakeries and interviewed, showed them my work and NEVER heard from them again. I suspect they thought I was there to steal their customers or learn some "secrets", according to someone who knows someone......... so if your work is way above average you may not get a call or you may not want to show them your work until they hire you. Sounds strange huh???

good luck!!!! Enjoy your new home!

ginger

Molly2 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:22am
post #5 of 6

Congrats scnix I only do this as a hobby also and work fulltime (not in a bakery) I work in an office. You are doing what I would love to do quit my office job and work part time in a bakery really just to watch and learn and if it turns in to something great if not no pressure best of luck to you

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

scnix Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the ideas. I am not ready to just bake from home and sell. I don't think I have enough contacts, or experience, or talent.
I guess I will just try walking into stores with some photos of my work and see what happens.
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%