I Have Been A Lerker For A While, But Now...

Decorating By scnix Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm by scnix

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 6

I am ready to jump in. My life has changed in a wonderful direction and my husband and I have moved to Wilmington, NC. The best part about this change (besides the beach and wonderful weather) is now I do not have to work full time.
So, I was wondering if anyone out there in cakeland could give me a few tips on how to starting becoming more serious about caking. I don't want to start my own business, I just want to go to a bakery and either bake, help decorate, or whatever. I am willing to do it all; work the front, do dishes, clean, bake, whatever they need. I am just not sure how to go about getting a job like this a a bakery or speciality cake shop. Do I walk in and show them what I have done in the past? Call and set up an appointment? Do I need some type of formal education in hospitiality? Any suggestions would be helpful. I do not know anyone in the area or about any of the shops in teh area, as I have just moved here.

I have been doing this for a hobby for little over a year. You can see my photos, I don't do a lot of cakes maybe one or two a month but I love it and would love to help someone do more.
Thanks wonderful CC'ers!

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 6

I would just find some bakeries and go and apply everywhere that you can!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:35am
post #3 of 6

Lucky you!! I believe you are even in a state where you can actually have a home bakery. What a lot of us would give for that option.

Congrats. I say bake from home and sell - you know you love doing it!!

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:50am
post #4 of 6

Congrats, I live in Virginia Beach and LOVE LOVE IT!!!!! I actually went to two local bakeries and interviewed, showed them my work and NEVER heard from them again. I suspect they thought I was there to steal their customers or learn some "secrets", according to someone who knows someone......... so if your work is way above average you may not get a call or you may not want to show them your work until they hire you. Sounds strange huh???

good luck!!!! Enjoy your new home!

ginger

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:22am
post #5 of 6

Congrats scnix I only do this as a hobby also and work fulltime (not in a bakery) I work in an office. You are doing what I would love to do quit my office job and work part time in a bakery really just to watch and learn and if it turns in to something great if not no pressure best of luck to you

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the ideas. I am not ready to just bake from home and sell. I don't think I have enough contacts, or experience, or talent.
I guess I will just try walking into stores with some photos of my work and see what happens.
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%