Please Tell Me What Popcorn Salt Is? A Specific Brand?

Decorating By aej6 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm by prterrell

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 13

I have looked all over for "popcorn salt" and am totally baffled...I have searched here and in stores...can someone please tell me what this is and where to find it? Is there a brand name for it? How is it different than regular salt?
Thanks very much...sorry if this is elsewhere but I can't find it!

12 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:22am
post #2 of 13

Morton makes popcorn salt, which is found in the popcorn aisle, not the baking goods aisle at the grocery store. It's a small round container (like the large morton salt container but very tiny) and is a bright blue color. It costs about a dollar and it's actually just superfine salt as opposed to table salt which has a bigger granule. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

aej6 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 13

That does help, thank you! ANd so quick!! hahaha

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #4 of 13

You're welcome!! And Welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #5 of 13

If you have a mortar and pestle you can make your own popcorn salt. I just grind mine in my mortar bowl until my salt is a powder consistency. No more buying superfine salt for me! I got my mortar and pestle set from Crate and Barrel.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #6 of 13

And it sticks to foods better. We call if "french fry salt" in our house because when I make fries at home, we use this salt on the fries, because it actually sticks to the fries, instead of bouncing off of the fries like regular salt does! icon_lol.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #7 of 13

Hey there aej6! Welcome to CC! Not sure from where you hail, but if you have a Walmart they keep the popcorn salt on the salt aisle --not the popcorn aisle! My Walmart sells the Morton, in a small shaker and, not with the other Morton salts, but near the Mrs. Dash type "alternatives."

HTH!

aej6 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all of the ideas! (Will hit WalMart tomorrow)
And thank you for the welcoming...this place is SOOOO addicting! I have been on here for hours almost every night for the last week reading, reading, and admiring all the fabulous work that people ehre do!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #9 of 13

Speaking of popcorn...have you noticed that many grocery stores nowadays are only selling microwave popcorn??? No jars or bags of Orville or Jollytime or any other brand of actual popcorn!

My niece is a teacher in Waco and she brought some ears of popcorn from her dad's farm to school one day to show the kids and none of the kids even knew that popcorn grows on a cob. All they know is that their popcorn comes from microwave bags. She said they were all just in awe of REAL popcorn! LOL!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 13

Popcorn salt is the SAME thing as pickling salt. Pickling salt is sold in boxes next to the boxes of kosher salt, near the cannisters of table salt. The price per ounce for the pickling salt is usually cheaper.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Speaking of popcorn...have you noticed that many grocery stores nowadays are only selling microwave popcorn??? No jars or bags of Orville or Jollytime or any other brand of actual popcorn!

My niece is a teacher in Waco and she brought some ears of popcorn from her dad's farm to school one day to show the kids and none of the kids even knew that popcorn grows on a cob. All they know is that their popcorn comes from microwave bags. She said they were all just in awe of REAL popcorn! LOL!

AHA!! Thus debunks the notion that the younger generation knows everything! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:37am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I bought some REAL popcorn a while back and made it in the pan like my mama used to do. My kids thought I was magic. My son said "Mom, you are a GENIUS!"

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 13

My grocery store sells bags of popping corn. We use an air popper to make popcorn, much healthier and tastier than the microwave stuff, not to mention soooo much cheaper. For some reason the bags of popping corn are sold in the produce section, not near the gazillion boxes of microwave popcorn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%