Is This The Same Thing As Tylose?

Decorating By babeebk Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm by babeebk

babeebk Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 6
5 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 6

I know in britian they use something called CMC powder. But considering that shop is selling suplies to make fireworks, I wouldnt trust it at all to be used in food consumption.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 6

It looks like it's the same chemical, but I know with other things like glycerine there's some that's food-grade and some that isn't. When you look up "cmc powder usp" or "cmc powder food-grade" you get some that say they're intended for food use. I think that's probably important here.

ibmoser Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 6

Notice that the first item is listed as "sodium" CMC. According to Wikipedia:

Following the initial reaction the resultant mixture produces approximately 60% CMC plus 40% salts (sodium chloride and sodium glycolate). This product is the so-called Technical CMC which is used in detergents. A further purification process is used to remove these salts to produce pure CMC which is used for food, pharmaceutical and dentifrice (toothpaste) applications.

So, the first listing needs further purification to be food grade. The second auction mentioned by goddessa12 appears to be food grade. Most cake stores sell 55 grams (a little less than 2 oz) for about $4.

babeebk Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 6

thanks everybody!

Quote by @%username% on %date%