What Am I Doing Wrong?--Designer Stencil Is Frustrating Me!!

Decorating By Tee-Y Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm by Tee-Y

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 12

I just got a designer stencil and even after watching their how-to tutorial, its just not working for me- the royal icing just keeps seeping under the stencil on my practice dummy cake and I dread to think what would happen when I try it on the real thing. I bought it for an order that I have and I'm wondering what to do, and I'm not even new to stencilling but this is bigger than the ones I've been using, please any pointers will be highly appreciated.

This is the result I've been getting.
LL

11 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 12

Is your royal icing too runny?? Are you using a bench scraper or something similar when applying the RI on the stencil. I've only done it a couple of times, but you really need to have the stencil flat against the surface and then pull it straight off when done.
Good luck.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 12

try stiffer icing

C4KEU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C4KEU Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 12

your icing looks to soft.also black colouring thins the sugar as you have to use so much to get your desired depth, try adding a small amount of gumtragacanth to strengthen the sugar .I also use a fine edged crank pallet knife .I find it gives you more controle
hope this helps
christine

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 12

I use a credit card! And stiff icing, or my personal fave piping gel for a wet shiny look. I don't recommend it without lots of practice though. icon_wink.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 12

Tee-Y, you aren't alone. I HATE doing stencils on round cakes for EXACTLY the same reason. I have practiced on dummies and real cakes and STILL have a problem. However, I have relatively no problems when it comes to doing it on a square cake. Try it and see if you have an easier time with it, just to get the hang of it. I am still hoping to nail it one of these days.
Good luck!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 12

And an extra set of hands helps too.

sugarshack Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #8 of 12

pin the stencil to the cake so it does not move. you can spackle the hole afterwards. Learned that from Sutterby.

sugarshack Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #9 of 12

PS. wilton black buttercream right out the tube works perfectly. see the last cake in my photos.

Tee-Y Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 12

Thank you everyone for the responses.I don't think my RI was runny and I think adding CMC will keep it from spreading well but putting my stencil flat is the problem cos there just seems to be gaps that the RI keeps entering into icon_cry.gif .I'm wondering if it won't be better or easier to just airbrush.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:38am
post #11 of 12

Your Royal Icing should be stiff enough to stand a metal spoon in it upright ..

Tee-Y Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 12

Uh-oh! icon_surprised.gif That stiff????? icon_lol.gif Though my RI wasn't runny it I don't think I could have stood a spoon upright in it. Okay back to the drawing board!!!! icon_lol.gif Thank you auzzi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%