How To Get Buttercream Smooth?

Decorating By D1976 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 2:02am by cksweets

D1976 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 7

I've experimented with different buttercream recipes and want to know what is best to use for getting that really smooth, flawless, almost fondant look. Is it better to use a shortening base recipe or one with with both shortening and butter. What's the trick to getting a smooth cake?

6 replies
sugarshack Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 7

U can use either type of icing. The trick is a good recipe , right consistency, the right tools and practice.

There are many successful ways to do this. here are some of my tips:

D1976 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you. I'm going to give it a try. I've tried plenty of recipes. icon_smile.gif Can you tell me how much liquid you use total ?(how much flavoring vs creamer mixture.) Is it one cup? Thanks again!

prterrell Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 7

Meringue based buttercreams are the easiest to smooth.
I use a thin plastic bowl scraper to smooth my cakes.
Also, practice, practice, practice!

sugarshack Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:44am
post #5 of 7

for the recipe volume I posted, the total amount of liquid is 16 TBS which may be one cup.

HTH

tracey1970 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #6 of 7

I use half-shortening/half-butter. To smooth, I use the Melvira method on this site (under articles). Works like a charm!

cksweets Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #7 of 7

hi..i'm a newbie, but recently discovered when using the wilton's recipe for bc if i use heavy whipping cream instead of water or milk it comes out smoother for me. also, the others are right....practice makes perfect! icon_smile.gif

oh i use the paper towel method which i learned in a wiltons class, but they have it on here too.

hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%