How To Get Buttercream Smooth?

Decorating By D1976 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 2:02am by cksweets

D1976  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D1976 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 7

I've experimented with different buttercream recipes and want to know what is best to use for getting that really smooth, flawless, almost fondant look. Is it better to use a shortening base recipe or one with with both shortening and butter. What's the trick to getting a smooth cake?

6 replies
 sugarshack  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 7

U can use either type of icing. The trick is a good recipe , right consistency, the right tools and practice.

There are many successful ways to do this. here are some of my tips:

D1976  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D1976 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you. I'm going to give it a try. I've tried plenty of recipes. icon_smile.gif Can you tell me how much liquid you use total ?(how much flavoring vs creamer mixture.) Is it one cup? Thanks again!

prterrell  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 7

Meringue based buttercreams are the easiest to smooth.
I use a thin plastic bowl scraper to smooth my cakes.
Also, practice, practice, practice!

sugarshack  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:44am
post #5 of 7

for the recipe volume I posted, the total amount of liquid is 16 TBS which may be one cup.

HTH

tracey1970  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #6 of 7

I use half-shortening/half-butter. To smooth, I use the Melvira method on this site (under articles). Works like a charm!

cksweets  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #7 of 7

hi..i'm a newbie, but recently discovered when using the wilton's recipe for bc if i use heavy whipping cream instead of water or milk it comes out smoother for me. also, the others are right....practice makes perfect! icon_smile.gif

oh i use the paper towel method which i learned in a wiltons class, but they have it on here too.

hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%