Help-With The Durable Cake For 3D And Wedding Cakes

Decorating By Lenore Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 2:12pm by diane706

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 7

Would anyone be so kind as to give me some advice with regard to this recipe? I would greatly appreciate some help before I go and waste more ingredients... I just finished baking a 2" x 12" and is shrunk and fell something terrible while cooling. I used one whole recipe in a 2" x 12" pan baked with baking strips, parchment covered bottom, @350F for 40 min. Also, I am using an oven thermo so I know my temp is OK. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could offer.

6 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 7

I would lower the oven temp to 325, bake for longer. I would also use a flower nail or heating core to even up the baking in the middle.

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 7

I also only bake this recipe at 325 and always use a flower nail. This seems to be the one recipe I always get great results with.

Lenore Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much!!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 7

Lenore, I know you said you did all the right stuff, but did you check the center of the cake with a toothpick or butter knife, etc. to see if it was done completely in the center. Because you can't always go by the baking time. Sometimes they take a little longer. Just asking because you didn't say you did. I also agree with the other two posters about lowering the temperature slightly and using a flower nail. Just remember that if you lower the temp it will have to cook longer.

Lenore Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone. I did test the center with a toothpick. Came out with just a few moist crumbs. The cake fell off to one side, not in the center. I did turn it after the first 15 min in hopes of even baking. I am going to try it again tomorrow with the lower temp and flower nail. I will be going for a clean toothpick next time. I usually am a scratch baker yet thought I would 'cheat' a bit with this semi-homemade cake...thought it would be easier...boy was I ever so wrong! I really appreciate all the help.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 7

I start at 300 degrees and after 15-20 min raise the temp to 325. (commercial oven). My cakes always shrink some with this recipe but I still love it. I always use a flower nail and the bake even strips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%