Does Everyone Carve Cakes To Make The Sides Perfect?

Decorating By jeannetted23 Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm by __Jamie__

jeannetted23 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 14

i was really just wondering how to do this to make my cakes look perfect.
how much usually gets carved off?

13 replies
christeena Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 14

Personally, I do not have the time to do that and with my Magic Line pans, I don't have too much that needs carving away. It's amazing what frosting can cover up!! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 14

If you are using the wilton pans, many of them have a flare to them, and when I"m in a jam and have to use one of these, I do trim this flare off. Otherwise, as metnioned above, when using Magic Line, no side trimming is needed.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 14

Ditto Debi and christeena.

jlsheik Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 14

Any bleb...is that a word? But anything that is not flush I trim off....I emboss a lot on buttercream...so it helps not to have to worry it will show through in places.
If I am in a real hurry...I don't worry about it.
Laura

grandmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 14

Yes, and I'm sick of it. I just ordered a gazillion Magic Line pans, even and odd sizes, in round, square and oblong. I am hopeful my investment will pay off in straight-sided cakes.

Can't wait for them to come in!! I will lovingly wash, dry and nest them all in a cabinet especially prepared just for them...

bashini Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 14

No, I never carve the sides as I always get a nice clean finish from my heavy duty pans. I level just the top from my Agbay! icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Yes, and I'm sick of it. I just ordered a gazillion Magic Line pans, even and odd sizes, in round, square and oblong. I am hopeful my investment will pay off in straight-sided cakes.

Can't wait for them to come in!! I will lovingly wash, dry and nest them all in a cabinet especially prepared just for them...

Ok...I am jealous!

KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 14

only if I'm covering in fondant, if I'm covering in buttercream it doesn't matter because the icing hides it all, you just have to make sure that the icing is straight lol

sugarshack Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 14

ditto above post!

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 14

Wait until you bake your first square cakes in those Magic Lines! Woooooeeeyyy! Heaven! But, all the straight edges in the world won't matter for much if you don't apply your icing perfectly sharp as well.

grandmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 14

And I will apply that icing perfectly sharp, because Sugarshack Sharon taught me how!

CelebrationCakery Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 14

You guys are so funny...I needed to be reading this right now....

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

And I will apply that icing perfectly sharp, because Sugarshack Sharon taught me how!

Dang Skippy! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%