How To Write On Cakes Using Computerized Fonts?

Decorating By pipe4fun Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm by pipe4fun

pipe4fun Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 5

I have viewed many cakes with what looks like disney fonts used for the writing. How is this done? I use disney fonts as an example but there are many computerized fonts being used. Some writing appears to be transfers other appear in fondant. Any help would be appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks

4 replies
letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 5

One option is to use a royal icing transfer (RIT). Print out the writing in the font and size you will be using. Tape paper down on a flat surface. Tape a piece of plastic wrap over that. Outline the letters with thicker royal icing, then fill them in with the icing thinned to flow consistency. Here is a link to a thread discussing the technique. Page 2 of the thread has great detailed instructions with photos by Cakehelp.

letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 5

Also, here's a video by Edna that might help.

poohsmomma Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 5

Most of my cakes are buttercream. I use the computer to write my message with a font I like in the size I need. Then I print it in reverse. I tape a piece of acetate over this and pipe royal icing onto the plastic. I remove the plastic from the paper before it dries, but then let it sit until it dries completely.
After my bc has crusted, I press the message into the cake. That gives me an impression or indention to use as a guide for my buttercream.

Just another way to use the computer.

pipe4fun Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%