How Do You Do A Zipper On A Purse Cake?

Decorating By icalise Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 12:00am by FlourPots

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 10

Hi:

Can anyone tell me how to do a zipper on a purse cake?

THANK YOU!
Ines

9 replies
paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 10

you can make a mold but you need time for that. I took a new zipper from my sewing box, dusted it with cornstarch and then pressed it in to fondant. I know it is opposite, this is how you would make a mold, but it looked fine. Later when I had time I made a mold in the same way and then pressed my fondant into it to make my zipper.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you both so much. Paulstonia: what do you use to make the mold?

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 10

I use the Wilton embossing / cutting wheel with the gear pattern wheel! All you do is roll out one side, then offset the wheel a "notch" and roll the other side right next to the first one! Then, put the cutting wheel in the tool and cut about 1/16th of an inch on each side of the zipper! You get a nice raised edge and the middle looks just like a zipper! No molds necessary! Just a steady hand!

Works perfectly every time!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #6 of 10

So sorry, I didn't get notification of reply on this. I just used some wilton gumpaste I had. Just had to wait for it to dry. The dusted it with corn starch before putting in the fondant.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 10

Along the lines of what paulstonia has written, here's a link to pics & instructions of my favorite zipper...it was posted by TooMuchCake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=610780&highlight=

...and here's a link to the (diaper bag) tutorial by TooMuchCake that has a great photo of the zipper from the other end (the pull):
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Welcoming_William.html

Also, the new Planet Cake book has a great zipper that was made with this: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku43513/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C4%7Cpastry%20wheel%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH

Took me awhile to track it down because they call it a serrated dough wheel, but it's identical to the one in their photo.

icalise Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 10

You guys are great!

icalise Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 10

Flourpots - those links were very helpfull. THANK YOU ALL!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #10 of 10

Glad we were able to help icon_smile.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%