Frozen Icing Decoration

Baking By amaniemom Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm by amaniemom

amaniemom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi I was wondering if a person could decorate in advance to make life easier. For example could a person make buttercream icing and pipe them to make roses and them freeze them. Then when it comes time just add a little dab of icing on cc and put rose on it?
I was thinking about a special occassions when you have to make tons of cc and don't want to put too much icing on cc ( no swirls) and just a little rose in the middle to look a little pretty, perhaps with a leaf? This would be for funerals so something easy, fast, and not too festive looking but still look elegant.

Any thoughts or ideas? If this is possible how would I store the roses nicely with out getting them wrecked in the freezer , yet keep them fresh. How long will they last in the freezer?

4 replies
KHalstead Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 5

I've frozen roses for up to 4 months and they still tasted wonderful. Didn't notice ANY difference at all.

What I do is pipe the roses onto little squares of waxed paper and line them up in the bottom of a plastic container, then I use little condiment containers (little plastic cups 2 oz. that you get at party stores) I put a couple of them in amongst the roses and then add a layer of cardboard (to make another layer of roses) and continue until the container is full, then pop on the lid and throw it in the freezer. I keep a box of baking soda right next to it too, just to be on the safe side so if any odors are in the freezer and happen to permiate the container somehow.

I use those plastic shoe box containers from the dollars store, they don't take up a whole lot more room than a couple of ice cube trays stacked up in the corner.

amaniemom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 5

Great! May I ask what kind of icing did you use?

KHalstead Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 5

just a regular buttercream, I buy mine premade in 28 lb. buckets at Sam's Club

amaniemom Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%