Help Please, Michelle Foster Fondant

Español By Cristi-Tutty Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm by __Jamie__

Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 14

Hello, yesterday I made a batch of Michelle Foster Fondant let it stand 6 hours and everytime that I tried to knead it just start cracking. I put more glicerine as it says in the recipe to see if will work better, but it did not. Please I what did I do wrong and what should I do.

Thank you

13 replies
stsapph Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure what you did wrong, but try kneading in some crisco. It's cracking because it's too dry. The crisco will give it some more moisture and should help. If I remember correctly from when I make it, you don't need all of the powdered sugar called for in the recipe. Did you use all of it?

sadsmile Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 14

are you sure you followed the directions and used all the ingredients in the correct amounts?

Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 14

Yes I did used almost everything!!! In the recipe said to use cream and then on the bottom said to use milk, so I used heavy cream, could it be that?...yes i used the correct amounts...I did put the fondant for a moment in the microwave and also used some crisco which it help a little bit...I do not know how much should I put ...I do not want the flavor to change....thank you for helping me...

Rosie2 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 14

The first time I made MF fondant it came out hard and it was so difficult to work with...that time I added 6oz of white chocolate and all the sugar although, it didn't crack it was just hard/stiff icon_sad.gif...did you add chocolate to yours?

I also made it (again) last night and I used cream and only half of the white chocolate (3oz) and it came out perefect. And, no I didn't use all the sugar either ..I'd say I used a bit less than the 3lbs.

Sorry yours didn't come out as expected...remember that in the recipe notes it says that 'everything' affects the consistency of the fondant.

Good luck!

Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 14

No I did not add chocolate , I used the basic recipe....I put some crisco and the rolled and put on the came it is not that bad but it is cracking a little bit...I just hope that the fondant on the cake does not crack more.....

I do not know if I should stay with the MMF or give it a to MF again...

Thank you for your help

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

Hello, yesterday I made a batch of Michelle Foster Fondant let it stand 6 hours and everytime that I tried to knead it just start cracking. I put more glicerine as it says in the recipe to see if will work better, but it did not. Please I what did I do wrong and what should I do.

Thank you

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to not let the mix come to room temp like it specifically says to do. It's all downhill after that, because if you put it in too warm, you more than likely added more PS than necessary to get it to the "clinging to the dough hook" stage. Now it is cracking and too hard. Try to remember if you did indeed, allow it to come to room temp. If you did, then I don't know, as this recipe is pretty foolproof.

grandmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 14

I always use heavy cream, so that's not likely the problem.

I never need all the sugar. The few times I forced most of it, I regretted it. I have learned to add a cup at a time after the first 8. When it starts to get really thick I take it out, no matter how much sugar is left over.

I have noticed the mixture will set up a little firmer with the white chocolate added, but that just makes it harder to knead to pliable. It doesn't make it crack.

I have had to work lots of Crisco in, and it never changed the flavor or look of the fondant.

Don't give up - this stuff is great to work with and tastes best, IMHO.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you to everyone..I was getting frutrated with this, but I will try to do it again...and let you know.... thank you, thank you!!!

jlsheik Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 14

I only use this fondant and I use whole milk. I have used it from the first recipe before she added the revisons. I use a double boiler but I have done it in the microwave to! I agree, letting cool may be your problem...if it is not cool enough it takes way more sugar to get it to the right consistancy. Adding to much sugar will cause it to be dry and crack after it cures...I say chunk that batch and give it another whirl....you will get it right and LOVE it.
Laura

PTBUGZY1 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 14

I had the same trouble the first time I used it, I put it down to using to much gelatine. The recipe I had called for 3tbls of gelatine, it was hard, it cracked I ended up using plenty of glycerine asnd crisco to be able to work with it. The just recently I found an amended recipe that calls for only 2tbls of gelatine so I'm hoping my problem will be eliminated, could this have been your trouble. HTH

sadsmile Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 14

I agree it could be the cooling issue. If the mix was still too warm or hot it cooks the sugar and changes the consistency.

I am also wondering if you used too much powdered sugar. As you add it in when it gets to an elastic bubblegum texture you stop adding. Then when it sets over night and "proofs" or whatever it does, it thickens up to the play dough consistency that you have to work before using.

If you kept adding powdered sugar that would make it dry and crack. Remember even the next day if it is too soft and stretchy to use you can always add a little more powdered sugar to it.

But when you are making it and add too much it is pretty difficult to try and fix.

Sorry I asked you and then didn't respond- a friend came to visit me.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 14

I did not let the mix cool, I used right away...so that is the problem...thank you, because I will do the same ..Thank you for helping me to solve my problem....how long do you let it cool....and how much sugar do you usually use I know the recipe says 3-4 lbs of sugar how more or less do you use more than 3 or less than that and then you start putting more?...and when you use the chocolate how do you do?

thanks

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 14

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

Here ya go. But I think you must already have this? And it says lukewarm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%