Mmf Buttercream Combo

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm by letsgetcaking

letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 5

I just tried out Rhonda's MMF recipe, and it was delicious! I loved it! The problem that I had, though, was that the buttercream completely overpowered the flavor of the fondant. Also, when I have tried the basic MMF (marshmallow, water, powdered sugar) in the past, it seems combining it with the buttercream is way overpowering.

I was wondering if most decorators use a different version of buttercream when they combine it with MMF. Do you use less sugar or less flavoring in the buttercream? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's just my buttercream recipe that's too overpowering. Would any of you mind sharing a buttercream recipe that you feel works well with MMF, especially Rhonda's MMF? I'd appreciate any advice.

4 replies
letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 5

Oh, I just thought I should share the recipe I've been using so maybe someone would see something I could change. The recipe is from my mom, and it's delicious frosting. I just think it's too sweet and the flavor is too strong for the fondant. Do you think I could eliminate most of the sugar and flavoring and then use it with the fondant?

16 oz. bag confectioner's sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/2 cup shortening
pinch (less than 1/8 tsp.) salt
1 tsp. vanilla
a little less than 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
a little less than 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
a little bit of milk (add just a little at a time until you have the right consistency)

Mix it all up, and voila!

jardot22 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 5

If you feel it's too sweet or overpowering, maybe you should try using a meringue based buttercream recipe such as SMBC or IMBC - these are less sweet than the recipe you are using. I wouldn't eliminate any sugar from the recipe you are using, however - it is a standard American buttercream recipe, and that type of buttercream is just plain sweet, that's all there is to it icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 5

I use Indydebi's buttercream and the basic MMF recipe. I flavor the fondant sometimes, but sometimes I don't.

For a lot of people, having the fondant blend into the buttercream is what they're going for. I like it to seem like one kind of frosting, rather than seeming like a chewy layer and a gooey layer.

Oh, and if you decrease the sugar in your recipe you'll change it's ability to crust.

letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you both, Jardot22 and TexasRose. I'm grateful for the advice I will definitely be trying all of the recipes you suggested. I appreciate the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%