Pricing Cookies

Baking By edith1 Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 2:39am by LaBellaFlor

edith1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith1 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 8

i have been working pricing cookies. i find i need to price around
4 dozen to make anything for my time. does this sound to high?
I have started working on holiday orders.This is a hard way to make a living . but love what i do icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:13am
post #2 of 8

what type of cookies are you doing?

edith1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith1 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 8

p.butter, snickerdoodles, triple chocolate w/pecan , walnut,.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 8

I would take all of your ingredients and add that to what you give yourself as an hourly wage . So let's say it costs you $6.00 to make a batch of snickerdoodles and each batch of dough yeilds 48 cookies. That would be $6.00 plus let's say it takes you a total of 3 hrs. to mix, bake, and clean up and you want to make an hourly wage of $10.00/hr. That would be $36.00 to make 48 cookies that comes out to exactlly $.75/cookie So you could sell your cookies for $9.00 a dozen.

Another way you could do it is to weigh your cookies, although people are going to ask you how many cookies there are in a 1/2 lb. anyhow, so I'd do it by cookie count.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 8

Don't forget to factor in taxes. I am working on pricing the same kind of cookie varieties and if you want to actually clear $10 an hour you will want to add at least 15% just to cover the federal taxes (medicare, social security) on your income. State and local taxes can affect it too. (I will be listing my business on my personal taxes as a sole proprietorship) Just one more thing to keep in mind...

ETA, I will be using basically the same formula that KHalstead mentioned, but in addition to charging for ingredients and time, I will add a few bucks that are specifically to go back into the business. This way I can buy new equipment and such without having to dip into my "pay." It won't be much, maybe $2-3 per dozen, but it will eventually add up for the Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer in Green Apple that I having been drooling over for an eternity!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 8

Oo, oo, oo! Can you send me your recipe for your snickerdoodles?!?!? Please, please, please. I love Snickerdoodles, but can't find a recipe. Don't even ask me why I can't find one. I just can't.

Oh yeah, I can't really tell you how to price for the dozen. I've never done it. I do know cookies, really big ones like 3"-4" around, average $1.50-$2.50 for one. I have seen them sold that way. I think CookieMakinMomma has a point on how to price as well. A little extra never hurts. You also have to factor in the time & gas going to the store, the eclectricty you use to make them. Just ake your time & REALLY think what things are gonna cost you. I bake cookies like CRAZY every Chiristmas and my electric bill definetly goes up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 8

Uh, LaBella, let me give you a hint on how to price by the dozen.

Take your price per cookie and multiply by 12. Tah-DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Uh, LaBella, let me give you a hint on how to price by the dozen.

Take your price per cookie and multiply by 12. Tah-DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_cry.gif Oh, but, then, well, you know, I may not get any orders. And you know, I really want orders. icon_cry.gif

Okay, this is in no way to make fun of anyone at all. Indy knows what I'm talking about.

Back to your regularly schedules program.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%