My First Mmf Trial Disaster

Decorating By vjred Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 8:57am by vjred

vjred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vjred Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:46am
post #1 of 10

ive been planning to try MMF on my son's 3rd bday party.

for a first timer, i thought it's very easy until i tried and I realized how painful it is in my arms. it took me 4 hrs to knead MMF before putting it inside the fridge for an overnyt.

the following day is the celebration day.i was so excited as i thought it would come out as planned and in my mind. but it came out moist outside in hot temperature here in UAE before taking it inside the car.

i dnt knw if what I did was horribly wrong. I used oil instead of butter to my hands and roll it on the powdered sugar. when i tried cutting it, i learned that it's still elastic. i dnt know if it was the right consistency or still needs sugar, plus the chocolate filling of my cake in between were so visible at the side. it could be i put more fillings or my BC icing was thin.

I thought it could be my son's best birthday cake but it turned out frustrating and disappointing to me.

i have enclosed here a picture of his cake, please advice and comment on what to do next...should i need to knead the fondant more on sugar/conrstarch. i need your advice pls. i wanted to try MMF again bt needs your expertise...thanks a lot
LL

9 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:36am
post #2 of 10

Here are my two cents - your problem isn't as much the MMF, but the bulging cake.
I think the MMF was a touch too thin - better said just right consistency for covering the cake, but for the MMF balls touch more PS would be good - they are slightly loosing their form.
What you need to address for the next time is the cake. First - did you use supports in the cake? The bulging is worst in the bottom layer, where without support there is most weight from top. The top layer is perfect.
If you did use supports, the weight should be on this support system, not on the layer bellow.

And another tip for work with MMF - it can be hard to kneed it. You can warm it up in MW slightly, and it gets easier. One problem with it - it is quite easy to kneed much too much PS in it when the MMF is warmed up.

As aside - I am sure your son was happy with the cake as it was. I know it is frustrating to have this "perfect" picture in your head, but a child is happy that mommy has made a very special cake for him.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:39am
post #3 of 10

Hi vjred,

I hear you, I can understand how frustrated & dissappointed you must have felt, I was exactly the same with my 'prezzie' cake I tried to make for my birthday in January this year (I've yet to upload it into my photos).

Your cake turned out nice, after all your woes, not many people can accomplish that on their first go! Don't worry, as with all my 'disasters' I know that I will just get better if I practice, practice, practice! I'm still a newbie but every cake I make I learn something new, what to do & what not to do next time!

Did you frost the cake in bc & put mmf accents? or is it all mmf?

With your filling bulging out the sides, I've read on other posts that you can build up a 'dam' of thick frosting around the edge of your cake prior to filling it. I'm sure the more experienced decorators may be able to help you with that.

I'm sorry I can't help with the mmf, I tried it once (sad, bad, long story), now I only use pre-made RTR. I hope you get more replies to help with your questions & to reassure you that most of us have been there!

vjred Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:47am
post #4 of 10

thanks majka and Candy...

i used SPS actually that's why i wondered why it bulged at the side.maybe next time i will make the advice of CandyCU on putting frosting at around yet before putting the fillings. i frost it with BC and out mmf as accents.

yes, my son was happy though and it's the first he ate...

so meaning i should have not knead it the mmf thinner than wat i did...thanks...for sharing your words of wisdom.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:18am
post #5 of 10

What did you use as a filling? Now I understand that the cake bulged only through the weight of the top layer (not tier).
What you can do:
Use stiff (very stiff) buttercream as a dam - some people even do it so thick that it has a consistency of rolled buttercream. Put your "normal" filling in between.
Let the cake set - you have three possibilities how to make this: Time (fill and let it set overnight), weight (fill, put a cutting board on top and some weight (pound of PS will do) and let it set for few hours, or a quick way - put a jelly roll pan on top of your cake and press it down as much as you can. There will be icing coming out in between the layers and this is the time when you stop.
You want the bulging happen before you put the MMF on it.

Best way is to make both - put stiff buttercream dam around your cake (not right on the edge, but about 3/8" from it). Fill the cake and press it down. The dam will roll to the edge of the cake.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:44am
post #6 of 10

I don't have any more advice for you, everyone else has already given you great advice! I'm sorry that happened to your cake. I think your design and colors were still really cute!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 10

You took on a lot for your first cake - I am sure your son loved it!!

I just wanted to add, you do not need to refrigerate MMF. Just make it, coat it with shortning, and wrap it in plastic wrap - leave it on the counter.

The stiff dam will fix the problems with the bulging. What I do is make VERY stiff buttercream and instead of using a bag and a coupler, I just roll it with my hands into a long snake, and use that for the dam....just inside the edge of the cake.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 10

Welcome to CC vjred,

I think that the theme of your cake was very colorful and very creative. Remember we are our own worst critics of our own creation. Everything takes practice and you'll see as you go on that you'll get better at things. When you are learning new things, things will be frustrating but things will get easier for you.

I have tried doing MMF many of time with problems when reading it off a recipe. I am a more of a hands on, need to see someone do it in order for me to do it right kind of girl. So I have looked up on youtube and went through many video until I found the right video that was right for me and I would like to share it with you.

This one is for MMF:
The only different that I did was when she added the powder sugar to the mixer I saved about 1cup of that for the kneading on the countertop. That way you know not to add to much powder sugar to the MMF to make it to dry. The 2lb. is just right. If the MMf is to sticky for your hands rub shortening on your hands and that will help. (do not use oil) Oh one more thing rub shortening on everything the MM bowl, mixing bowl, hook,and the spatula. that will help with the MMF not sticking so much and make thing more easy to clean up.

the only thing about this video is that she really didn't do a good job on leveling the cake, you would want it more leveled then what she did. she still had kind of a dome on that cake.

and just like Loucinda said you do not need to refrigerate MMF. and can be left out for a couple for weeks. but unless you know your not gonna use it until 3 or 4 week from when you made it then you can refrigerate it, if you like. But all you need to do is Wrap it really good air tight and put inside a air tight bowl it'll be good for weeks.

hope this help you out.

Shaddi

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 10

I'm sorry your first experience with MMF was a bad one. I just love it. I'm just a newbie too, and I will tell you this. You will get no better help anywhere then right here. I have come so far in such a short while, and I owe it all to the folks here on CC. Anything and I mean anything that you want or need to know about making a cake you can find out here. If you don't believe me look at my cakes. The first ones I uploaded on here were pretty messy, but I was proud of them all the same, because I knew with each one I would get better. I think you'll be able to tell which ones I did first. Just chalk this one up as a learning experience and know that by the time you do you son's next cake, You'll be awesome. I'm sure of it.

vjred Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:57am
post #10 of 10

thank u all...ive learned a lot.to SHADDI thanks for dat helpful video.I have now an idea. will let u know next time and i post here my second MMF making...appreciate all inputs and generous sharing of techniques.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%