What To Make That Will Hold For One Day In Roomtemperature?

Decorating By egensinnig Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 11:29am by egensinnig

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:13am
post #1 of 14

I've been asked to donate a cake for a fund raiser. The problem is that here in cold Sweden we always make cakes that needs to be refridgerated. Whipped cream, mousses, ganaches and so on as filling. We usually crumb coat with whipped cream as well. But this cake will be left out on a table all day so it needs to stay fresh in room temp.
Any ideas what I could make?
Can it be covered in fondant or will that melt?
Any other ideas and pointers would be very appreciated.
And can I use this to market my cakes? Leave a pile of buisness cards for example? Or is that a no no?

13 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:29am
post #2 of 14

I think if you use ganache (non-whipped) to fill and coat your cake before covering in fonant, it'll be fine at room temp.

As for the business cards, I'd ask the organiser first. I'm donating a cake for a charity event this week too and that's what I plan to do.

HTH
Emma

egensinnig Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks a lot emcm51!

Anyone more ideas anyone?

egensinnig Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 14

Any other ideas? How log do you store your ordinary cakes in room temp?

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 14

Any shortening based frosting or fondant is fine at room temp. I always frost my cakes a day ahead, and leave them out, and they are just fine. icon_smile.gif

egensinnig Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 14

millermom - that's what I suspected. If I do a cake in what we call "american style" it will be fine. I'll just leave out any dairy products I guess. Thanks!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 14

Yes, I use water instead of milk. I love that you call it "American Style." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You know us, the more preservatives, and simple it is, the better! icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 14

I remember seeing a cake website from Sweden. I can't remember the name, but the cakes were gorgeous. I think the background was pink.

I would think leaving your business cards would be okay.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 14

I agree to the no dairy... butter baaaaaaad! I have found the shortening only recipe works best. Put butter flavor in if you want them to think it's butter. Also, what would be "room temperature" in Sweden? 40?50? Just kidding! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It's frosty here in the Colorado mountains, too! You might want to ask them if yours could go up for bidding first and then get it to the frig right away. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

egensinnig Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:11am
post #10 of 14

We really like the look of the " American style" cakes - but it's too dry for our taste since our cakes is at least 50 % mousse/cream. We use really thin sponge and then lots and lots of filling. So no god for stackning and straight edges but oh so delicious!

I think I'll go for a heavy christmas fruitcake and cover it with non-dairy frosting and fondant.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:33am
post #11 of 14

hiya in the uk we tend to use butter/icing sugar/milk to make our buttercream and use that as a filling and under fondant. This is perfectly stable at room temp for several days. If I do a fruit cake I put marzipan (attached with apricot jam) on under the fondant. HTH

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:44am
post #12 of 14

Similar to what Justdarling does, I use butter/icing sugar/water for my buttercream and have never had a problem with it sitting out at room temp and going melty or anything, holds up just fine! Never tried it in got weather though

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:18am
post #13 of 14

If you go for the fruit cake, do NOT frost it with buttercream first - you need to use marzipan and then fondant, or a double layer of fondant. Buttercream & fruitcake = gross and just plain wrong lol!

Butter-based buttercream is more than stable at room temperature, I have been using it for years, with cakes at room temp for 3-4 days with no problems. The sugar acts as a preservative. The only thing you need to avoid is milk/cream based fillings/icings, apart from ganache, again the sugar and the fat in your chocolate acts as a preservative.

I was asked to make a Swedish Princess cake for a wedding last month - as you know this is little more than a big ball of cream, so I said no, but I will develop something room temp safe and similar. I made vanilla sponges, soeaked them with rum syrup, filled the cakes with vanilla meringue buttercream, ganached the cakes and then covered them in almond-flavoured fondant. Went down a storm! You just have to get a little creative sometimes!

Good luck!

egensinnig Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:29am
post #14 of 14

Hmm - then maybe a moist chocolate cake with ganache filling and frosting might be the way to go. I want to cover it with white fondant so maybe a white chocolate ganache for frosting

Princess cake is my absolute favorite! Thats what I asked my mother to buy for all my birthdays until I left home. Now a days a have a little wider horizon and appreciate all kinds of flavors and combinations - but Princess still makes me so happy!

Once again - thanks you so much for all your advice and input - much appreciated! ( how on earth did I manage before I found this wonderful place???)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%