Patchwork Letter Cutters

Decorating By delicity Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm by Cricketina

delicity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicity Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #1 of 5

What is the best way to use this cutters.I always have a very hard time and I can't get the letters out of the cutter without breking them. I know someone in cake central got a tutorial but I can't find it. Can anyone help me please? I also know there is a name for this kind of cutters but I can't remember it now.
Thank you

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 5

Well, if youare using patchwork cutters lightly grease your work surface and roll the paste thin. let the top of the paste dry a bit then lightly grease the cutter and cut the letter out. It should stick to the surface and you will only need to use a plate knife to pick it up.

IF you are using tappits (they are the strip cutters) roll the paste thin let dry a bit, then grease the cutter and cut the letter you want moving the cutter around on the cutting surface to assure a clean edge. Then firmly whack the cutter on the cutting surface to release the letter.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 5

Patchwork Cutters are the black plastic cutters. The company recommends rolling gumpaste very thin and using a bit of shortening on the board to "stick" the thinly rolled paste down. Rub a tiny amount of shortening over the surface of the cutter (just rub your lightly greased finger over the cutter - don't allow shortening to build up inside the cutter or you'll lose details) and press down firmly. Remove the excess paste from around your shape. Check out Tonedna's wonderful YouTube video here

Although she is using FMM Tappits instead of Patchwork Cutters, this is the technique that Patchwork recommends in their project books.

delicity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicity Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you very much to both of you for the reply.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 5

The tips that you were given are exactly what I do and It works great!!

You should be great now....good luck!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%