Dry, Cracked, And Bubbly (Squishy Fondant)

Decorating By figuje Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm by mgwebb68

figuje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
figuje Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:45am
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone. I am having trouble with my MMF. It seems fine intil I roll it out to apply to a cake. After I apply it is dry and cracked. I let it set for a while and then Presto! bubbles appear and my fondant is squishy. Horrible for stacking cakes. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help?

Thank You in advance icon_confused.gif

5 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 6

Hmmm . . . no idea, but I will give you a bump

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 6

Is your cake room temperature?

What is on your cake before the fondant?

Did you let your cake rest before you put the fondant on?

I've never had one swing from one extreme to the other like that.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 6

My recipe for MMF says that if the fondant is dry, add a sprinkle of water and knead until it reaches the desired texture. I find that it works great at first, then the water evaporates (maybe?) and the fondant is now dry and cracking, but still spongy/squishy to the touch. If that could be your problem, maybe a decrease in the amount of water would help. Instead of using water to fix the texture of your fondant during the kneading process, use shortening instead. Hoping this might help - If nothing else, here's a bump!

figuje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
figuje Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:38am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for responding. I have let my cake set before I put the fondant. I put a layer of buttercream under the fondant.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 6

Make sure that your BC layer is smooth. When you apply your fondant, make sure that you are smoothing it out well and getting all the lumps and bumps out. Don't leave a lot of fondant hanging over the edge while you are smoothing it, the weight will cause it to stretch and start to tear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%