Food Color Separates From Frosting

Decorating By Rethy Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm by Texas_Rose

Rethy Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 5

I usually do not have this problem, but the last two cakes I have made, I have had a problem with the icing separtating from the icing. What am I doing wrong? What could be the problem? Has anyone else had this problem? Please give me some advice. Thanks!

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 5

Were they dark colors? I have this happen with dark colors and I think that the amount of color we add throws off the balance of the icing and thins it down to much. When I have to make dark colors with the icing I throw in a little cornstarch and it seems to help me with the seperating issues.

Rethy Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! I will try this. How much cornstarck?

TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 5

I don't measure it. It depends on how much icing you are coloring and how much coloring you are adding. I'd say start with a 1/2 of a teaspoon to a teaspoon.

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 5

Something that helped me with the same problem was a recipe change. I was having that problem when using Wilton's recipe (but not adding the meringue powder). I switched to Indydebi's recipe, which you can find in the recipe section here, and not only does it taste better and hold up to heat better, but the color doesn't separate out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%