How To You Describe Fondant?

Decorating By idoteech Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm by idoteech

idoteech Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #1 of 9

I use fondarific fondant, which I have found to be the best tasting IMO.
Anyway...just did a birthday cake for a friend, and they were honest and said that no one liked the fondant. None of them had ever eaten it, and they clearly thought it was VERY different. Question: how do you describe fondant to people? Do you warn them ahead of time? I just can't make a buttercream cake to be as smooth and whimsical looking as fondant, but I really hate the fact that the people I bake for dislike fondant.

Any advice on how you handle this is greatly appreciated.

God Bless.
Eva

8 replies
luvmysmoother Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 9

If people want a cute looking cake - most of the time they will have to relent and accept fondant. Many people peel it off anyways - it's very normal - it's mostly for looksicon_smile.gif I would just describe mmf as marshmallowy tasting with a taffy like texture - I'm not sure what fondarific tastes like but probably similaricon_smile.gif I also don't like fondant and generally peel it off - but mmf (for me) is the least offensive tasting and if I end up eating a bit when I eat a cake I don't mind the taste at all. But yes - I have to admit I prefer a thin layer of buttercream or whipped cream on a cake...

MadeYaLook Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 9

I tell people that it has the same taste and texture as thise circus peanuts.

Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #4 of 9

I tell them it's sweet and chewy.

I've found with most people that say they don't like fondant it's because of the texture more then the taste. Unless of course it's Wilton fondant then it's the taste for sure. icon_biggrin.gif

Most people aren't used to having to "chew" their icing.

Tiffany29 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #5 of 9

Alot of people don't like fondant. I think that MMF is good and it reminds my of candy corn, after it has hardened a little.

indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ____Betsy_____

I tell people that it has the same taste and texture as thise circus peanuts.

That's exactly what I tell them, too. I also explain there is a layer of BC under the fondant, "....so if any of your guests don't prefer the taste of fondant, they can easily peel it away and their cake will still have icing on it."

Lenore Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #7 of 9

I begin with...fondant is an acquired taste. It is generally used to cover cakes for more formal events as it gives the cake a porcelain finish. It is an icing that is rolled out similarly to pastry dough. It has a chewy texture, and light, sweet flavor.

CakeMommyTX Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:59am
post #8 of 9

I made the mistake once of describing fondant as "marshmallow flavored Play-Doh", won't do that again..lol
So now I say it is a smooth rolled icing, and they can peel it off if the want to.
But I've found that if you roll it extra thin,1/8" or thinner it will "melt" into the butter cream and form one icing instead of 2.
The inside gets nice and soft and less chewy because it's so thin.

idoteech Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna tell them that if they want a cake with that kind of finish they will have to choose fondant, but I will give them the "peel it off" advice.

Eva

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%