14" Round On 14" Square? Any Thoughts?

Decorating By Cakerer Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 1:40am by OregonCakeLady

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 4

I'm going to be making a wedding cake for a friends daughter in November. The cake is (thankfully) super simple...all one flavor, covered in Ivory fondant with chocolate ribbon and bow. Thats it....EXCEPT.....I just found out that she has reserved a 14" square cake plateau to sit the cake on. My problem - the bottom tier is supposed to be a 14" round.

I've suggested that we drop the bottom to 12" and increase the number of servings we planned to have in the kitchen....but then my cake base should still be a 14" right? Any thoughts on how a 14" round will look on a 14" square? I mean, whats the point in renting such an elaborate piece when no one will see it?

Any thoughts are appreciated.....should I risk it with a smaller base?

3 replies
OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure that I understand. Is there just going to be one 14" slab on the cake plateau?
I would downsize just a bit. Do a 12" and do an extra tier or something to make up for the loss.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 4

Oh, I wasn't very clear...it's getting late.....it's supposed to be a 14, 10, 8 and 6 but I'm going down to a 12 10 8 and 6. I was just thinking, no matter what size the bottom tier will be, the base will be bigger and may cover the plateau. It's not really that big of a deal...but wanted to get opinions.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 4

I think that sequence will look better anyways. 14-10" is a big jump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%