Help... Im Going Nuts

Baking By maimai16 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 1:15am by Elise87

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:24am
post #1 of 14

this might sound silly but i need to know before my daughter and i start making cookies on lollies... what are cookie lollies made of? the one that you bake them with the cookies... is it wood? can i use bamboo skewers? its just a home project so as much as possible i wanted to spend less =)

thanks in advance guys =)

13 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #2 of 14

I wanted to try testing these also and because it was just all i had, i just cut some bamboo skewers in half and soaked them in a bowl of water for about 20 mins (just so they won't burn in the oven because wasn't sure if they would) and then pushed them into the cookie with the sharp end first (added a thin strip of cookie dough to the back over the skewer bit jsut to hold it in cose it was very close to the back surface of the cookie cose i didn't want it to bulge onthe front of the cookie) and they turned out fine and seemed pretty secure! I mean the skewers seemed strong enough to me!

maimai16 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 14

thanks elise... soaking the skewers is a pretty neat idea... will try them tonight =) thanks a bunch again =)

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 14

I thought they were longer lollipop sticks, sold by wilton....

Elise87 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:10am
post #5 of 14

yeh you can buy specific cookie lollipop sticks i think but if your not fussed how the stick looks eg white then a cheaper version with the skewers i reckon is just fine.

I am gonna make a cookie bouquet for a family member next week and i am going to use the bamboo/wooden skewers just cose it's easier and they are long enough for me

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:22am
post #6 of 14

The wilton lollipop sticks are really thick and more expensive. i always use the bamboo skewers they are 12" long and only 97cents for 100 at walmart. I never soak them and they dont burn, they're only in the oven for 12mins if you bake them. i dont bake mine in anymore though, I just ri the stick to the back of the cookie.

Elise87 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:35am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

The wilton lollipop sticks are really thick and more expensive. i always use the bamboo skewers they are 12" long and only 97cents for 100 at walmart. I never soak them and they dont burn, they're only in the oven for 12mins if you bake them. i dont bake mine in anymore though, I just ri the stick to the back of the cookie.

oh so they are still pretty secure with the RI?

bbmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:13am
post #8 of 14

Yes, I've never lost any off their sticks. I use the ri full strength, run a line of it on the back of the cookie, place the stick, then squeeze a line of ri zigzag across the top of the stick so it covers the stick and touches the cookie. When I was baking the stick in the cookie, sometimes the cookie would loosen and spin on the stick.

maimai16 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:37am
post #9 of 14

bbmom, when do you put the ri at the back? after drying the decoration or you do the ri & skewer first?

bbmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:50am
post #10 of 14

Yes, after its all dry. That way its easier to store them in the freezer if you have to for a while. Then you can just pull them out, let thaw, attach the sticks, then bouquet them.

maimai16 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 14

bmom, that sound so simple... i thought freezing ri would destroy it? how do you store your cookies when freezing? now, questions keep comming... sorry in bombarding you with all of my questions... and thanks in advance =)

bbmom Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 14

No, I've frozen mine many times. Depends on what I'm doing with them, if they're wrapped for party favors, I bag them, then put them in a freezer container. If its for bouquets, I just layer the unwrapped decorated cookie in a container. You can freeze for up to 3months-I havent had to freeze for that long though. But when you need them, just take the container out and set on the counter, let thaw unopened in the container. Then do the stick and bag or whatever. I have also just taken a whole bouquet, sticks, basket and all and popped it into the freezer for just a few days when I couldnt get it delivered to the person right away.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 14

Wal Mart has sticks that are flat and much easier to get into the cookie before baking. I soak them a few minutes before inserting into the cookie before baking. I only have had one cookie break... but that was my fault for handling it to rough! Guess that one was mine! icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #14 of 14

glad you asked and answered that question guys cose i was wondering as well about freezing RI covered biscuits icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%