What's The Technique To Prevent Filling From Seeping Out?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 1:05am by Loucinda

ranbel Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 6

Hi CC'ers

I have a request for strawberry filling and I have never done filling before.

So, can you tell me the best technique to ensure the filling doesn't seep out between the layers?

Thanks alot.

5 replies
Rylan Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 6

Put a nice thick dam.

superstar Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:08am
post #3 of 6

Make sure your dam is very stiff, so stiff you can actually move it with your fingers. I always take some of my BC from the main bowl & put it in a small bowl then add more pwd.sugar until it is stiff enough.

littlejewel Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 6

I hope this helps. I use a coupler fill the bag with whatever frosting I put on the cake. I then pipe the frosting as close to the edge of the cake without touching the edges. I use a lot of pressure when pipping so it forms a dam. Finally,you are ready to put the filling in the dam you just created.

littlejewel Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 6

I forgot to mention you might want to split the layers using a serated knife then pipe the bottom and fill that. I just like the way it looks better than putting it on top of a whole layer

Loucinda Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6

I have a different way of doing my dam. I make the icing for the dam VERY stiff, and instead of using a coupler to put it on the cake, I roll it with my hands into a long rope and put it on that way.

If it is a very slippery filling, I will also make an X in the middle of the cake with the stiff icing too then fill around the X - it helps hold the cake in place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%