Going From Paper To Laptop

Business By suzylynn58 Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 4:28am by G_Cakes

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 8

I purchased Cake Boss a few months ago and I really like it and think it is a great price for all you get. Here's the deal - I have kept a binder with paper order forms for the last couple years. I am having such a problem letting go of the paper and going to my laptop. Anyone else feeling a little insecure about that? I guess the worry is my laptop will crash and there will go all my orders.

Just thought I would share my little cake fear!!

Susan

7 replies
Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Susan,

I agree completely! We are in an age where computers are taking over and I still feel the need to do the "paper trail". You can do what I do (which is double work but only takes a couple minutes) Do both. Just to make sure you have all your bases covered anyhow.

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

suzylynn58 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 8

For sure, there is something about being able to pick up that binder and flip through it. I need to put it all on a jump drive so I have it.

chloe_52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe_52 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 8

Why not do what I do, do the order in CakeBoss and then print a copy of the invoice to keep as my paper trail, this way you have both but only do the paper work once.

suzylynn58 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 8

Great idea Chloe, I will have to do that!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 8

I'm a computer person all the way.

I have what my kids have dubbed "My Duff Wall". I print out the next two weeks orders and pin them on the wal under headings of "Fri", "Sat" "One Week" "Two Weeks", like you see the clipboards on Duff's Wall. This works great as I can see at a glance what's coming up.

It was also great when my computer crashed 2 weeks ago and I had zero access to my files. Thank GOD I had them printed for two weeks. (My son had to totally rebuild it. He came in and said, "Mom, you are what we call ... in technical terms .... f*cked!" icon_lol.gif

Computer: A great system for storage and access.
Backup Plan: A must have for ANY system.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 8

A 100% paperless office isn't going to happen. You can greatly reduce what you use, by upgrading to software, but not 100%.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:28am
post #8 of 8

I am a computer geek, and anything techy is right up my ally.

I agree with Chloe and use the program and print off a copy of your order for your paper trail.

But you could also use a memory card (almost all computers can accept them now) that you use in a digital camera, ipod, oe a flash/jump drive or CD.

But when using a computer best rule of thumb is to always have a back up copy of your entire drive.

I have a 4 gig memory card that holds all my cake photo's and I back up every thing on my computer on there.

You can also do the same thing with an ipod, which will also store all your contact information including email, addresses and tele numbers.

You can print copies off as you need it and will always have a copy should the need ever arise icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%