What Should I Charge For A 3-D Frog?

Decorating By babyhugs Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 11:42pm by babyhugs

babyhugs Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 6

i've recently made a couple of the 3-D frogs like the one in Debbie Brown's book and now someone wants to pay me for one! I have no idea how many serving are in it or where to begin to figure out what to charge. icon_cry.gif Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
TIA!!

5 replies
milkmaid42 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #2 of 6

I wish I could help you. I, too, have the same problem with sculpted cakes. How the heck do you determine how many servings a 3-D cake can contain? Also, in the same vein, how large to make a requested cake to serve the number the customer wants? I have resigned myself to charging an arbitrary amount, based on the complexity of the design and how long it takes make. After all, it is a work of art, not just a cake. Custom work is expensive. Still....
Hope some out there has the answer.

babyhugs Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 6

Doesn't anyone have a suggestion? I agree with MilkMaid42 on this, custom work is expensive, but how expensive? I really have no idea!
Anyone???

milkmaid42 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 6

re the sculpted cake question: As I replied earlier, it still is a question to me. I was asked to do a groom's cake and was unsure of what to charge so I e-mailed the question to Earlene who graciously answered me:
"Carved sculpted cakes start at $5 a serving for me. The more complicated the higher the price. They are asking you to do art work - not ice a cake. Art work is expensive. If no one else in your area can do this - it should be more valuable and therefore more expensive. Don't feel bad about being slow or wasted cake - it is the end result they want. If you must use sheet cakes to begin with because that is the closest cake size you can bake to get the size you need - then so be it. If you can use an oval cake pan to begin with for the ducks body then you will have less wasted cake. Just have to give it some thought to what pans you need to get the cakes shape going with the least amount of work.
Time you must use to plan out the construction, time to build the armature and etc - all of that should figure into the price of the cake. Sculptured cakes are expensive - period. "
Earlene
www.earlenescakes.com
This was some help to me to know where to start with the price, but as I stated earlier, I still don't know how to figure volume to gauge the number of servings. Hope this helps you.

dstbni Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 6

I have seen a few people on here suggest that you price based on the amount of servings of cake you baked, regardless of how much cake is actually delivered. Maybe you could try that, or eyeball it and split the difference. I suppose if you wanted to be really precise you could weigh the starting cake and the finished cake and adjust the servings proportionately based on the difference. I don't know, just some ideas.

babyhugs Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 6

It does help...some icon_smile.gif Thanks for the replies! Now if I only knew how to figure the servings on a cake like this. I always feel like I price things too high icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%