Uneven Finish On Chocolate Mmf.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm by jardot22

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 2

I just covered my cake board with the same chocolate MMF that I will use to cover the actual cake in a few days. Aside from some minor cracking (*sigh*), I noticed that when I looked at the board from different angles of light, the finish was very splotchy and even. The color of brown was even, but the dry vs greasy finish was not and I don't know why.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem? I know that the board will have the cake on top of it and nobody will even see it, but I'm concerned when I cover the cake, and any uneven spots that will be more obvious if they are there.

FTR, I already tried 'polishing' the fondant with a small piece of the same fondant and that didn't work. I also tried smoothing it out like crazy with the smoother and that also didn't work. What else can I do? Has anyone seen this before?

TIA!

1 reply
jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 2

Maybe you could try rubbing a very thin layer of shortening all over the surface. Once it dries it would probably all be the same finish. You could also try doing the same thing with vodka or everclear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%