My Cookies Don't Shine :(

Baking By amberkw Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 9:58am by andpotts

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 9

So I made some Halloween NFSC. DELICIOUS! w/ Antonia74's (?)RI sorry, I didn't check the user before I started typing.) My icing doesn't have the sheen I am seeing in pis of other cookies. Is this just because the flash or do I not know the secret?

8 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 9

The recipe you used dries to a matte finish.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 9

Try Toba's Glace to ice them. Dries shiny.

amberkw Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #4 of 9

thanks!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 9

You can add corn syrup to that recipe to make them shiny.

summerluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerluv Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 9

about how much corn syrup would you want to add for a shine? Thanks!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 9

i use a Tbsp if I want the icing to stay thick for outlining, more than that if I'm using the icing to flood. I use corn syrup in place of water at all times.

amberkw Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much. I will try it. I really like the recipe. Will I still be able to stack them, w/out breaking after they are dry? I want to try Toba's Glace as well. I am going to try my new cutters this week from D& G in orlando. I can hardly wait!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:58am
post #9 of 9

I like Antonia's, but once I started using Toba's Glace I've never gone back, it's just so easy for me to mix up and I love how my colors come out with it, there are a few tricks though. So if you try it make sure you add some bright white coloring to it (I add about 20 drops to the big batch before splitting it into my bowls for coloring) and just make sure they dry in a not cold environment.

I have had such good results every single time and there is a low shine once they are dry, taste good and stand up to bagging and stacking. For things I want to have extra shimmer I dry brush with Pearl Dust. Have fun, I am always giddy when I have new cutters on the way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%